Thursday, July 27, 2017

Eye Candy by Jessica Lemmon

Title: Eye Candy
Author: Jessica Lemmon
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Real Love #1
Main Characters: Jackie and Vince
Release Date: July 2017
Publisher: Loveswept
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Jacqueline: As an adult woman--and the vice president of a marketing firm--I shouldn't be waiting by my office window to ogle the mystery man who jogs by every morning at 11:45. Sure, he's a gorgeous, perfect specimen of the human race, but I can't bring myself to hit on a total stranger. However, my best friend-slash-colleague Vince Carson thinks I should do more than talk to the guy. In fact, he's borderline obsessive about "getting me laid." (His words.) But the more time we spend together, the more it's clear: The one I'm falling for is Vince.

Vince: Jackie Butler's got it bad for some pompous, over-pumped A-hole who struts his stuff past her window. That doesn't bother me. I know she deserves nice things. What does bother me is that she friend-zoned me big-time last year, so I can't ask her out myself. But what if I set her up with Mr. Steroids? Then, when he breaks her heart, I can swoop in and save her like the nice guy I am. Everything's going according to plan . . . until we share a ridiculously epic kiss. And suddenly anything is possible.

My Review:
Friends to lovers...my all time favorite trope and this book is a GREAT example of the genre. I loved it so, so much!

Vince and Jackie have worked together for three years, but they truly didn't become friends until two years ago when Vince's marriage fell apart and he pretty much did, too. His friendship with Jackie is what got him through. And now he's wanting more, but until runner guy started coming by the office, he really didn't think Jackie was ready to date. She's also had a hard time getting over her rough divorce. So, he comes up with a plan to get Jackie interested in the idea of dating again...he pushes her to pursue running guy, assuming RG is a dud. Yeah, you can see how that might work out for him...or not as the case may be. 

Running guy is gorgeous...to the point that Jackie is setting her clock to make sure she doesn't miss him coming by. And bonus, she's just discovered that he lives in her apartment complex, too. But Vince is right...Jackie hasn't really considered dating, but when he starts pushing her she sees running guy in a different light...maybe he can be more than eye candy. 

I love the way this book starts out in Jackie's point of view. I was totally sitting there judging this book and the cover because Running Guy isn't her hero...he's a blond. Cover guy (and Vince) are NOT. hehe. I also love how close Jackie and Vince are. They're truly best friends. They do everything together, so when they start to play with the idea that they might be more, they're really only adding in kissing. But the book is realistic in that there are still some awkward moments. It doesn't help that Running Guy is still in the picture, too. 

Both of these characters have deep scars from when their marriages broke down. Those scars have left them both with trust issues that definitely make an appearance. Again...it's realistic and I loved that. It's not all smooth sailing just because they were so close before. 

Everything about this book appealed to me. I loved both the main characters, their friends, the settings, and the setup for the next book. I think I've found a new series to adore. 

I HIGHLY recommend this one!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: