Thursday, August 3, 2017

Under Fire by Scarlett Cole

Title: Under Fire
Author: Scarlett Cole
My Rating: B

Genre: Romantic Suspense 
Series: Love Over Duty #1
Main Characters: Six and Lou
Release Date: August 2017
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
HE CAN TAKE THE HEAT.

Hot, hard-bodied Sixten Rapp is a former SEAL who’s raring to begin his brand-new civilian life. He and his Navy “brothers” start a security firm that offers the kind of services only a team of military-trained professionals can provide. But nothing prepared Six for his new client: an innocent woman on a mission to improve thousands of lives. . . unless someone takes hers first.

CAN SHE HANDLE THE FLAMES?

Dr. Louisa North knows time is against her as she tries to create a “miracle” medical treatment for a disease with no known cure, until she creates a sample so powerful that the wrong people want to use it as a chemical weapon. At first, Six is unwilling to accept Louisa as his client. But soon he realizes that the danger is real and that there’s much more to this plain-Jane scientist…including a burning passion between them that neither of them can resist. And now that an enemy is on Louisa’s trail, Six will do whatever it takes to protect her—or die trying.

My Review:
I'm giving this a low 3.5-3.75 rounded up to a 4* rating just because the story didn't capture my attention as much as I'd hoped. There wasn't anything wrong with the story at all. I just didn't feel like I ever engaged in it. Maybe me? I'm not sure...because truly, on the surface this book was excellent. 

The characters were interesting. The suspense was a little meh...it could have used a bit more excitement. But I really liked the setup for the story line and the premise of the series. And I loved, loved, loved that the author didn't take the heroine into TSTL territory or the cliched conflict. (I loved that once Six decided Lou was his, he was all in...the business didn't matter, his girl did. Seriously, love that!)

So, the setup...Louisa is a scientist trying to develop a drug to treat the disease that took her father from her. The irony...it wasn't the disease that killed him, it was the side effects from the drug he took to treat the disease. That's what Lou is trying to develop...a new treatment drug, but instead her research yields a dangerous new drug that could be used as a weapon in the wrong hands. 

Six and two of his SEAL buddies are in the process of setting up their new security company. One of their first jobs is working at a banquet where Lou is speaking. She is incredibly shy and Six helps her work through that back stage...and they make a connection...which is good, because Lou quickly finds herself needing Six's protection skills. (don't you love it when life is convenient like that?)

The writing on this was tight and the characters strongly developed. There were a few moments where the dialogue got a bit too cheesy, but hey, this is romance, right?

Overall, it was a good first book to the series. While it most certainly wasn't my favorite Scarlett Cole book, I'll probably pick up the next book in the series and see if I was just in an "off" mood when I read this one.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review. 

No comments: