Monday, August 7, 2017

Permanent Ink by Avon Gale and Piper Vaughn

Title: Permanent Ink
Author: Avon Gale and Piper Vaughn
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: Art & Soul #1
Main Characters: Poe and Jericho
Release Date: August 2017
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
At twenty-three, Poe Montgomery is going nowhere. He still lives in his father’s basement and spends most of his time tagging with his friends. When an arrest lands him in debt, Poe accepts the front desk job at Permanent Ink, the tattoo shop owned by his father’s best friend, Jericho McAslan. Jericho is nearly twice Poe’s age, but with his ink and prematurely graying hair, he quickly takes the starring role in Poe’s hottest fantasies.

Jericho is known for his ability to transform poorly designed tattoos into works of art, but he was once as aimless and misdirected as Poe. Wanting to pay it forward the way someone once did for him, Jericho makes Poe his apprentice and is determined to keep things strictly professional. Easier said than done when Poe makes his interest—and his daddy kink—abundantly clear.

Jericho can’t resist Poe or their intense chemistry for long. But between the age gap, tension with Poe’s father, and Poe’s best friend calling him a sellout, they’ll need to ensure they’re both on the same page before they can rewrite their rocky start into something permanent.

My Review:

There were so many things to love about this book. I love a good may/december romance. I love that Jericho owns a tattoo shop. I adore that cover...seriously, yum! I love that both men are artistic and Jericho wants to help channel Poe's passions. I even loved all the side characters (except for Blue...who was 25 in the book, but acted like he was 12). I love the "Poe" and raven theme that ran throughout the book and that that passion came from Poe's father, Landon. And honestly, even the relationship between Landon and Jericho worked for me. I liked the conflict it brought to the book for Jericho, especially internally for him.

I was not a fan of how completely immature both Poe and Blue acted. I get that there's character growth needed, and admittedly Poe had some of that growth in this book, but I'm not sure it was enough for me to believe in this HEA. Poe needs to move out, figure out what it means to really be responsible for himself before he moves from one daddy to another...ugh. There were several instances throughout the book where Poe would seem to be doing better and then he'd regress to the sullen, pouty junior high kid again. That totally ruined any progression he had for me. I couldn't believe in it.

I'll admit the slow burn between Jericho and Poe worked for me. Their scenes especially in the beginning of the book were really hot.

Note: I am not a fan of the 'daddy' kink, but normally it doesn't affect my enjoyment of a book because I can just ignore it. But in this story, with Landon and Jericho being best friends, it seemed more than a little creepy. Something about Jericho being friends with Poe's actual daddy really messed up that dynamic for me.

So, kind of a back and forth review for me. The writing is tight and completely enjoyable. It's easy to follow and easily engaging. I read the entire book in one day even with a ton of other things going on in my life that day. I adore both of these author's writing style. I'm just not sure this is a series for me. The next book looks like it's shaping up to be Callum and Blue's story. I'm just not sure I can do that one. I really had issues with Blue's immaturity levels...seriously, he's 25. *sigh*

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: