Monday, August 7, 2017

Making It by Christine D'Abo

Title: Making It
Author: Christine D'Abo
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: Ringside Romance #3
Main Characters: Devan and Eli
Release Date: August 2017
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Devan knows exactly what he wants from life: a good career, a husband who loves him, and a child to call his own. He’s working at the perfect job, and has found the man of his dreams in Eli. That only leaves one box left to tick. When his friend offers to be a surrogate mother for Devan and Eli, he’s convinced all his dreams have come true.

Eli has been fighting his entire life. Fighting to keep his sick mother safe, fighting his frustration, and fighting daily as an up-and-coming MMA star. The one thing he can’t fight is the feeling that he’s made a terrible mistake agreeing to be a father with Devan. On the worst night of their lives, Eli knows Devan is better off without him, and leaves.

When Eli returns three years later he comes face-to-face with Devan and a son who might be his. Devan has moved on with his life, but seeing Eli once again reignites forgotten passion. Yet if Eli wants to make it work with Devan, he must decide if he’s ready for the biggest fight of his life.
 


My Review:

And this is where reading is subjective. When I go to write my reviews, I grab the cover and blurb off Goodreads. I usually try to ignore the ratings, although I'll see the overall score at the top. I was shocked when I went to grab those things on this book and saw the low rating...because honestly, I loved this book. I thought this was the best book in the series so far....but I'll be honest, I've thought this entire series has been fantastic!

So, this book is a second chance at love story. Three years ago, Eli walked away from his marriage when he and his husband lost their second child to miscarriage. He just couldn't do it anymore. Devan hasn't seen or heard from Eli since, not even a response to him needing Eli to sign the divorce papers. So when Devan finds out Eli is in town, he sees the chance to put an end to their farce of a marriage once and for all. 

BUT neither one of them put those emotions to bed. They just pushed them to the side...and Devan had no idea what all was exactly happening with Eli during that time.

I love second chance at love stories, and thought this was a brilliant one. Devan was incredibly hurt by the blindside of Eli walking away. For Eli, he's simply learned to shut his emotions off completely. Neither one of them has dealt with the emotional fall-out from the failure of their marriage and neither wants to go through that kind of upheaval ever again. Neither one trusts. 

In the midst of all this is the pressures of dealing with a cranky, teething baby. Also Eli is on the cusp of the biggest MMA fight of his life. Nothing about this story is easy...and that's made even more complicated by the angst between the two characters. And all their friends who were there when the fallout happened the first time. 

Personally, I loved this story. I definitely recommend it.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: