Thursday, August 10, 2017

Fish Out of Water by Amy Lane (audiobook)

Title:  Fish Out of Water
Author: Amy Lane
My Rating: A+
Narrator: Greg Tremblay

Genre: Romantic Suspense (m/m)
Series: Fish Out of Water #1
Main Characters: Jackson and Ellery
Release Date: October 2016 (audiobook)
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Listening Length: 9 hours and 20 minutes

PI Jackson Rivers grew up on the mean streets of Del Paso Heights—and he doesn’t trust cops, even though he was one. When the man he thinks of as his brother is accused of killing a police officer in an obviously doctored crime, Jackson will move heaven and earth to keep Kaden and his family safe. 

Defense attorney Ellery Cramer grew up with the proverbial silver spoon in his mouth, but that hasn’t stopped him from crushing on street-smart, swaggering Jackson Rivers for the past six years. But when Jackson asks for his help defending Kaden Cameron, Ellery is out of his depth—and not just with guarded, prickly Jackson. Kaden wasn’t just framed, he was framed by crooked cops, and the conspiracy goes higher than Ellery dares reach—and deep into Jackson’s troubled past.

Both men are soon enmeshed in the mystery of who killed the cop in the minimart, and engaged in a race against time to clear Kaden’s name. But when the mystery is solved and the bullets stop flying, they’ll have to deal with their personal complications… and an attraction that’s spiraled out of control.


My Review:
Overall: 4.75
Performance: 5.0
Story: 4.75

I didn't really have high expectations for this book. Although I love Amy Lane, that cover just didn't do it for me and really messed with my perceptions of what this book would be. OMG, was I ever wrong in my pre-judgment of this book. This story was PHENOMENAL...seriously, almost perfection and the audiobook version of it was perfection. It truly took an incredible book and the audio raised it just one notch higher. Greg Tremblay...happy sigh...he is just a fantastic narrator. I love what he does with his voices. 

So, this book. Ellery is a lawyer. Jackson is a PI that works for his law firm. They've worked together for years, but have basically just circled around one another. They really don't even like one another, but that's because they really have no idea what the other one is about. To Ellery, Jackson is a manwhore. Jackson thinks Ellery has a stick up his butt. They are both right and wrong. What they're missing in their perceptions is exactly why the other is like they are and as they begin to work together to get Jackson's brother cleared of killing a cop, they begin to get to know one another...and realize there is so much more. 

Jackson...OMG, my heart wept for him. His story is just so tragic. And I loved how protective and alpha Ellery became about that and Jackson. OMG, Ellery started out this book as such a beta, but by the end he was kicking butt and taking names. I loved that. The two of them together were just EVERYTHING. The romance in this story is perfection...everything I love about romance. They grow to respect one another and that becomes so much more as the relationship evolves and deepens. I LOVED JACKSON AND ELLERY TOGETHER!

But there is also a mystery about what really happened in that gas station that night that is also really well done. I loved the corners they wended their way through and all the places their investigation took them. 

It was just an incredible book. I HIGHLY recommend it and am so excited to read book #2. I'm just sad it's not out in audio yet. So, I'll read it first...and then listen to it when the audio comes out, too. I LOVED THIS BOOK!

No comments: