Monday, August 7, 2017

Barrel Proof by Layla Reyne

Title: Barrel Proof
Author: Layla Reyne
My Rating: A-

Genre: Romantic Suspense (m/m) 
Series: Agents Irish and Whiskey #3
Main Characters: Aidan and Jamie
Release Date: August 2017
Publisher: Carina
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
FBI agents Aidan "Irish" Talley and Jameson "Whiskey" Walker can't get a moment's peace. Their hunt for the terrorist Renaud seems to be nearing an end, until a fire allows him to slip through their fingers—and puts Jamie's life in danger. When Jamie is nearly killed, Aidan learns how many forms loss can take.

Aidan says I love you just moments before learning that Jamie's been keeping a devastating secret about Aidan's late husband. How quickly trust and love can go up in flames. When Aidan requests a solo undercover assignment, Jamie hopes Aidan will find a way to forgive him.

But the explosions are far from over. Aidan's cover lands him in the heart of the terrorist's conspiracy, and Jamie will have to put his life, his career and his freedom on the line to save the man who has become his entire world. Partners, always is a promise he intends to keep.
 


My Review:

This is the final book in this series. And this is a series that you need to read all the books. They are not stand-alones. My recommendation is that you find the time, and read all three of the books back to back. This was an amazing series, but if you've been reading my reviews over time, you know I have a problem remembering details. Honestly, I think that was my flaw in fully enjoying this final book in the series as much as the other two. There are a lot of characters and details to keep straight, but it had been too long since I read the first two, so I kept getting lost. (Again...that is a ME flaw, not an issue with this book, and I can almost guarantee if I'd read all three books back to back I would have loved this one just as much, if not more than the first two.)

But even with not being able to follow the suspense line's nitty gritty details, I loved Aidan and Jamie. Gah, in this book they don't start out in a good place. Aidan finds out that Jamie's been hiding a secret from him, and although Jamie was just trying to protect Aidan, he's finding it hard to forgive and forget. As a result, throughout a lot of this book they weren't working as partners. But they still have that deep connection of love tying them together. Even when I wasn't sure their relationship would survive, I had no doubt about the depths of their love for one another. The author did an amazing job balancing that. 

The entire series is really well written. The romance is fast paced and hot. There is a ton of angst, especially for Aidan, because he's still dealing with his husband's death which ties into the suspense story line. So, even if he wanted to move on and just focus on his relationship with Jamie, he couldn't because the ghost of his husband Gabe is there throughout the entire series. 

I loved these books and am so thrilled to find a new auto-buy author. Now, if she'd tell us that there's a spin off series coming for Cam, I would be even more happy. I loved his character and would love to see him get his HEA, too. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: