Monday, June 5, 2017

House Rules by Cathryn Fox

Title: House Rules
Author: Cathryn Fox
My Rating: B-

Genre: Erotica
Series: Dossier #2
Main Characters: Kennedy and Sean
Release Date: June 2017
Publisher: Entangled
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: erotic


Story Overview:
The last thing I expected to find in my dossier was sexy stockings, a plane voucher to London and an invitation to dance at a gentleman’s club. I’m a quiet museum curator for God’s sake. No way, no how am I going to slide down a pole for a bunch of over privileged, narcissistic men—until I see Sean Fraser, my childhood crush, enter the establishment. Since I’m no longer that overweight teen with braces and mousey hair, there is no way he’ll recognize me. Hmmm… Maybe I’ll give him a fake name—and a private dance. That ought to make him finally notice me, right?

What the hell is Kennedy Lane doing sliding down a pole in a private Gentlemen’s club? I’m not sure, and while I know she’s hands off, I want her. I’ve always wanted her. She might have been too young for me back in the day. Now, not so much. Hands off leads to hands on after a private dance, and while Kennedy spends the weekend pretending to be someone she isn’t, I know full well who she is. And I’m not quite ready to let her hang up her stockings when the show is over.

My Review:
There were so many good things about this story. I love the idea of the dossier set-up. Kennedy made a deal with her group of friends two years ago...on their 25th (? I think) birthday, they will receive a dossier that will push them outside their comfort zone, but push them toward something they need/desire. So when Kennedy receives a package with tickets to London as well as an appointment to dance at a gentleman's night club and a bag full of lingerie, she accepts the challenge. 

I also really like that Sean ties to Kennedy's childhood and she never knew about his feelings for her. And that whole fantasy of seducing her childhood crush was amazing. Like I said...so many good points, so much possibility.

And I need to preface this next section with a "it's not you, it's me" disclaimer. What I really didn't like was Sean's whole over-sexualization of both Kennedy and the situation. And I know...why am I complaining? That's what this book was...erotica. But it had the setup to be a fantastic erotic romance and there wasn't a single moment of romance or true connection to the story. I think it could have been so much better/more fulfilling if that connection had been there and it wouldn't have taken too much more to add it in. I just felt dissatisfied by what was or wasn't there. 

This book was about the sex and only the sex. I just don't want to read a book that's whole focus is on the big o...again my fault, I shouldn't have picked up this book. I was expecting erotic romance and got erotica. I don't mind sexy times, but I don't want that to be the only focus. My two cents and that's definitely ME. If you don't mind straight erotica, this is a very well-written book with engaging characters and setup. YOU will probably like it...hehe.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: