Monday, May 15, 2017

Primal Need Anthology

Title: Primal Need
Author: Anthology
My Rating: A- overall

Genre: Paranormal Romance (m/m)
Series
Main Characters: various
Release Date: May 2017
Publisher:  Carina
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild overall

Story Overview:
A sexy male/male paranormal romance anthology that will leave you hungry for more… 

An exiled wolf shifter meets his mate and experiences a desire so intense it could be the death of them both.

A coyote pack alpha must convince a human to let down his guard and accept him—the man and the beast.

And a Kelpie naval officer discovers that the man marked for sacrifice is the man he's crossed oceans to find.

This anthology includes:

Wolf in King's Clothing by Parker Foye
The Alpha's Claim by Holley Trent
Dark Water by K.L. White

This book is approximately 105,000 words
 

Title: The Alpha's Claim 
Author: Holley Trent
My Rating: B+



My Review:
Um, okay? Did I read the same book as everyone else (looking at all the really low rated reviews) because I really, really enjoyed this one.

This story is about Teddy, a human waiter/actor who is tired of getting stiffed by the local motorcycle guys when they sit in his section of iHop super late at night. Jim is a coyote shifter and alpha of his pack. He's also super-rich. He's only been stiffing Teddy's tip because he's hoping to get a rise out of him. That works because Teddy has finally had enough of the crappy tips so he follows Jim out of the restaurant and confronts him. And things progress from there. 

Teddy has no idea that shifters are a thing. Jim knows that Teddy is his mate and that he needs him, but Teddy is obviously leery of him, so he decides to slowly integrate Teddy into his life and even into the idea of being boyfriends. Teddy is really leery of relationships. His past has proven that he's not the best at choosing guys to date. To make things even more complicated, at some point in his life Teddy was attacked by a dog/coyote and he's absolutely terrified by them now. Jim is aware that finding out he can shift into a canine form is NOT going to go over well. 

I like how naturally Teddy and Jim fit together. At first that isn't obvious, but it quickly becomes apparent that Teddy is a caregiver and Jim needs one of those in the worst way because he's too busy to take care of basic details of his life.

The story felt very natural to me...you know, or as natural as a book about paranormal shifters can be. I liked the story and how things played out in both the pack and the females in Jim's family. That final scene at iHop was perfect and left me with a smile on my face. 

Like I said, I truly did enjoy this one. I was in the mood for a quick fun, m/m story and am always good with shifter romances so this one worked for me!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review. 

Title: Wolf in King's Clothing
Author: Parker Foye
My Rating: A-


My Review:

I am NOT a reader who generally enjoys reading historical, but I gave this one a try and really liked it.

Kent is a captive half-wolf. He has a magical collar that keeps him bound. I'll admit to a little confusion about this because at first I thought the collar kept him from shifting, but later in the story it seemed like he didn't have the ability to shift at all. He's in a midway form...halfway between beast and man and it sounded like he's always been that form. 

Despite the confusion (and I'll admit, this wasn't the only thing I was confused about in the overall background events happening in the story) I did really like this story. I was intrigued by Kent and his history. Honestly this book would have really benefited from being expanded and fully fleshed out because the story was awesome. I would love to know more. The explanation of what Kent is made so much sense to how he is. I'd love to see how his and Hadrian's relationship evolves after he's freed from the binding. Just from the background conflict within the packs, I can't see smooth sailing for the two of them and would LOVE to see more for them...when Hadrian is fully Alpha and Kent as his guard. I would buy that book, no questions asked, despite it being historical. I loved them so much and simply wanted MORE!!

As it is though, this book intrigued and entertained me. I hurt for Kent's difficulties. The majority of the story is told from his point of view, so the reader automatically attaches to him more. But there's some intrigue in Hadrian's story, too. Please...I hope there's more to come from these two...

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Title: Dark Water 
Author: K.L. White
My Rating: A

My Review: 
ooh, this one was great. I love a tough, vulnerable military hero and this one featured two of them. 

In this book, Benjamin is suicidal. He's lost everything...he lost his sight and the last thing he ever saw was his best friend, Rez, dying. His father is senile and hospitalized and Benjamin is virtually alone...dealing with this new horrible disability and PTSD with no one to help support him. He can't envision a future where he wants to live so he decides to end it all...the same place he lost it all...in the ocean.

The only reason Rez survived is because he's supernatural. He's a kelpie...part sea horse, part man. His magic saved him from his mortal wounds, and it's just been his own healing and his responsibilities to his people that have kept him from going to Benjamin. He also has no idea the extent of Benjamin's injuries. Part of being a kelpie is that twice a year they have to sacrifice a human. Usually they can do this through humans who are suicidal. It's an exchange that works for both of them. So when he sees a human man committing to his death in the ocean, Rez doesn't realize it's Benjamin until he's already been irreversibly marked as the sacrifice. Rez has two days to figure something else out.

This book is painful just in that Benjamin is so depressed and overwhelmed by his new world. Also, he's so relieved to find Rez and sensory deprived (at least that's what he thinks) he has unprecedented reactions to Rez's close proximity. Benjamin has never shown an inkling of being gay before. As far as Rez, his people are sexually fluid although he never told Benjamin that before. 

The story is incredibly sexy even with all the emotional trauma. I've never in my life read a story featuring kelpies before and I loved getting to read more about these mythical creatures. I totally loved the story. Both of these guys were SEALS and went through battle together. They're already closer than most lovers are so the gay for you flavor of the story really worked for me. I like it...a lot.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: