Friday, May 26, 2017

Olive Juice by TJ Klune

Title: Olive Juice
Author: TJ Klune
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: -
Main Characters: David and Phillip
Release Date: April 2017
Publisher:  Dreamspinner Press
Links to Purchase:
Amazon
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
It begins with a message that David cannot ignore:

I want to see you.

He agrees, and on a cold winter’s night, David and Phillip will come together to sift through the wreckage of the memory of a life no longer lived.

David is burdened, carrying with him the heavy guilt of the past six years upon his shoulders.

Phillip offers redemption.

My Review:
Okay, right up front you need to know this is not a typical book, and the author has been adamant that no one spoil anything about it. That makes it very hard to discuss this book because so much of the story is tied up in how it is written. eeps.

So instead of talking about the story, I'll tell you about how it made me feel. Throughout so much of the book, it was simply incredibly sad. The book is told entirely from one character's point of view and he's in a dark place...a place he's been for six years. His depression and sadness flow beautifully throughout the story...and I know that sounds odd, but this is a book that is written in such a haunting manner. The character is devastated and that flows through every word, every emotion on the page. 

While that aspect is beautiful, it's also a very slow book. There is a TON of introspection and passive remembrance in the book. For me, as a reader, that's not my favorite method of story telling. I like dialogue and action and the lack of that pulled me out of the emotionally upheaval of the story at times.

Not that I didn't shed tears...because I did. 
And not that I didn't feel for these characters...because my heart broke for them. 

The book is different. The story telling is uniquely TJ Klune, who is quickly becoming one of the most innovative writers of the modern era. While at times, I didn't like the way the story was written, I applaud him for doing something so different and so eloquent. He does it beautifully. It's definitely another winner. Just know going into it, that this book is like nothing that you've ever read before. And for that, I think TJ Klune is incredible. 

And he made me cry...authors who can do that always earn my respect.

No comments: