Friday, April 28, 2017

Unsteady by Melissa Collins

Title: Unsteady
Author: Melissa Collins
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: On Solid Ground #3
Main Characters: Micah and Jude
Release Date: April 2017
Publisher:  
Links to Purchase:
Amazon
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Micah Hudson and Jude MacMillian were both lonely teenagers. One the new kid and one the target of relentless bullying, they quickly became friends. But when friendship grew into more, the relationship was too much for either to handle. As their tenuous bond was tested, everything tumbled down, leaving them lonely once again.

A decade later, Micah is on the brink of losing his will to live. Beyond exhausted from lying to everyone, including himself, Micah thinks of the one person who knows his deepest secret. Desperate and alone, Micah makes the only decision he feels he has: he must leave. But his need for closure depends on one thing.

Can Jude make room in his Unsteady life for Micah once again?
My Review:
I adore second chance at love stories and I'll say this first...this story was riveting. I didn't want to set it down because I loved the two guys and their love story. BUT what I didn't love were the things happening in the background with Micah. His secret is not something I like in my romance. I get it. I understand why, but it just makes me incredibly uncomfortable...not only that it was even there, but the fact that he hid it for so long, making Jude complicit. I just don't like that...and I'll be honest...that's usually a hard NO for me in my romance, so you can understand why I'm having a few issues with this book. 

The hard thing is...I get it. I understand how Micah ended up in this place, BUT he owes it to the people in his life...both Jude and his family to be honest about where he's at. The subterfuge throughout most this book just was not right.

sigh.

Okay...so there were some other places that this story shone...
**OMG, the history between Jude and Micah...so much love for this. I loved getting to see the past unfold and just how things went so bad for them ten years before. 
**Micah's place mentally is just heartbreaking. Reading so much of his internal dialogue is shattering. He's so broken...and has been for a long time. Going to war definitely didn't help that. It was ironic that the story starts with him saving Jude, but it was Jude who really broke Micah...and then eventually helps to put him back together. That history...it adds so much depth to their story.

Problems beyond the one I already mentioned...
**There were a couple of scenes that should have been huge in the book for emotional impact that seemed to get swept aside in favor of the dialogue happening around them. That made me sad because I wanted those moments to hold the importance they should have.
**I read an ARC and there were a few timeline problems...I hope those get fixed for the final release.

Okay...final analysis...although it sounds like this was a negative review, the problems would normally be enough for me to DNF a book. That was NEVER even close to the case with this book because it truly was a riveting story that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. The story flowed and I couldn't turn the pages in my kindle fast enough. Despite everything, I flat out liked reading it. So, a mixed review, but in the end, I'm so glad that I read this book. I feel like it was time well spent. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Happy Release Day!
Unsteady by Melissa Collins A stand alone, M/M romance IS NOW LIVE! Free to read with Kindle Unlimited
Grab your copy here --> AMAZON
Cover design: Sommer Stein at Perfect Pair Creative Covers
Photography: Wander Aguiar at WANDER AGUIAR :: PHOTOGRAPHY
Models: Jacob Cooley and Ryan Dick
BLURB:
Micah Hudson and Jude MacMillian were both lonely teenagers. One the new kid and one the target of relentless bullying, they quickly became friends. But when friendship grew into more, the relationship was too much for either to handle. As their tenuous bond was tested, everything tumbled down, leaving them lonely once again.
A decade later, Micah is on the brink of losing his will to live. Beyond exhausted from lying to everyone, including himself, Micah thinks of the one person who knows his deepest secret. Desperate and alone, Micah makes the only decision he feels he has: he must leave. But his need for closure depends on one thing.
Can Jude make room in his Unsteady life for Micah once again?
Join me on Facebook where you will find a $50 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway! Melissa Collins Author Page
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Melissa Collins has always been a book worm. Studying Literature in college ensured that her nose was always stuck in a book. She followed her passion for reading to the most logical career choice: English teacher. Her hope was to share her passion for reading and the escapism of books to her students. Having spent more than a decade in front of a classroom, she can easily say that it’s been a dream. Her passion for writing didn’t start until more recently. When she was home on maternity leave in early 2012, she read her first romance novel and her head filled with the passion, angst and laughter of the characters who she read about it. It wasn’t long before characters of her own took shape in her mind. Their lives took over Melissa’s brain and The Love Series was born.

No comments: