Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Too Hard to Forget by Tessa Bailey

Title: Too Hard to Forget
Author: Tessa Bailey
My Rating: A-

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Romancing the Clarksons #3
Main Characters: Peggy and Elliott
Release Date: April 2017
Publisher:  Forever
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
This time, she's calling the shots.

Peggy Clarkson is returning to her alma mater with one goal in mind: confront Elliott Brooks, the man who ruined her for all others, and remind him of what he's been missing. Even after three years, seeing him again is like a punch in the gut, but Peggy's determined to stick to her plan. Maybe then, once she has the upper hand, she'll finally be able to move on.

In the years since Peggy left Cincinnati, Elliott has kept his focus on football. No distractions and no complications. But when Peggy walks back onto his practice field and into his life, he knows she could unravel everything in his carefully controlled world. Because the girl who was hard to forget is now a woman impossible to resist.
 

My Review:
When this book began, I was not a fan. Elliott is NOT a likable character. In fact, he's pretty awful. He's super religious and strict with himself and the structure in his life. I never understood exactly why he was like that...if it was something he developed in the aftermath of Peggy or if he was always like that before (from the unhappiness in his marriage, it seemed like that may be the case). Regardless, he does not like who he is when Peggy is around. He blames her for his lack of control, because he really does lose it around her, and he doesn't even try to hide that from her. 

Poor Peggy. I think part of the reason I have such a hard time with this relationship at first is because it did do real damage to her mentality. If I were her friend, I would totally tell her to stay away from this toxic relationship. Elliott is so uptight about their chemistry, it's literally damaging to her and her self-confidence, despite the brave and forthright facade she presents. This man has torn her down...and gah, that makes this book so difficult. 

I know, I know...you're sitting there looking at that A- rating and then raising your eyebrows at me in question. Why the high rating with how I feel about the two of their toxicity? Because there is an incredible character arc for both characters in this book that totally redeems the story. But I'm getting ahead of myself. 

This is an incredible book when it comes to sexual chemistry. Hands down...Elliott thinks this relationship is wrong and that adds a heat to the story that I don't think would be there otherwise. It's like this forbidden sexual relationship and yes, I'll admit, that makes it even hotter...even as a reader. Elliott isn't an easy character to get to know, but once he fully realizes what he's doing to Peggy, he became hero material in my eyes. 

Peggy is also a hard one to read, although the book definitely benefits from being able to see inside her thoughts. She is friendly and outgoing...the ultimate cheerleader, but there is so much more going on with her. She has so much emotional depth that she doesn't let anyone see. Watching her with Belmont hurts my heart. This entire family of siblings are so repressed, but I think these two are the hardest hit by how they grew. (Belmont and Sage...I have a feeling that book is going to kill me, but I can't wait to read it.)

By the end of the book I was in love with this story. So if you're like me and really turned off by the conflict and Elliott at first, stick with it. It does turn into a beautiful love story by the end. 

I've thoroughly enjoyed this series. I'm anxious to see how Tessa Bailey finishes this family's journey to self-discovery and love...both for their romantic relationships, but also for themselves and their siblings. It's been a true journey of discovery.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: