Saturday, March 4, 2017

Nothing Serious by Jay Northcote (audiobook)

Title:  Nothing Serious
Author: Jay Northcote
My Rating: B
Narrator: Michael Pauley

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: -
Main Characters: Mark and Jamie
Release Date: March 2015 (audiobook)
Publisher: Dreamspinner
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
4 hrs 3 mins

Mark O’Brien is finally being honest with himself. His relationship with Rachel is over and he’s moving out of the home they've shared for six years. They get along, but he can’t fix a relationship when the person he's with is the wrong gender.

Jamie Robertson, one of the removal men, is huge and ridiculously gorgeous, and Mark is smitten at first sight. When a cardboard box splits, revealing items of a personal nature that Mark never wanted anybody to see, he's mortified. But it sparks the start of a beautiful friendship with benefits.

As Jamie initiates Mark into the joys of gay sex, the two men get increasingly close and “nothing serious” turns into something rather important to both of them. But communication isn’t their strong point. Will either man ever find the courage to be honest about his feelings?
 

My Review:
Overall: 3.5
Performance: 4.0
Story: 3.25

This is a short book and as such, I had a hard time really feeling the emotional connection between the two guys. There's no doubt they connect sexually...a lot, which is to be expected since this is a whole new world for Mark. Also, they set out to have just a sexual relationship, so it does take a while for it to truly develop into something else...something that's kind of hard to pull off with the abbreviated word count. 

But what there is to the story, I enjoyed. I just wanted it to be a bit 'more', but that's a common complaint from me with short stories. And let's face it, I love the romance...so the deeper it goes, the happier I am. 

The setup for these two guys worked for me. I liked how they met and how things played out with Mark's ex...I really loved her and how supportive she was of him, even though he pretty much broke her heart. 

If you don't have a lot of time to commit to an audiobook, this is a pretty good choice. It was light and entertaining. I had just one niggle with the narration though...the book takes place in England and one of the guys is Scottish. The narrator didn't have the accents which really would have enhanced the story.

But like I said, overall, this was enjoyable.

No comments: