Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Madly by Ruthie Knox

Title: Madly
Author: Ruthie Knox
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: New York #2
Main Characters: Allie and Winston
Release Date: March 2017
Publisher:  Loveswept
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
An impulsive trip to New York City, a heartthrob from London, and a scandalous to-do list turn a small-town girl’s life upside down in this sultry romance from the New York Times bestselling author of Truly and About Last Night.

Allie Fredericks isn’t supposed to be in Manhattan, hiding in the darkest corner of a hip bar, spying on her own mother—who’s flirting with a man who’s definitely not Allie’s father. Allie’s supposed to be in Wisconsin, planning her parents’ milestone anniversary party. Then Winston Chamberlain walks through the door, with his tailored suit, British accent, and gorgeous eyes, and Allie’s strange mission goes truly sideways.

Winston doesn’t do messy. But after a pretty stranger ropes him into her ridiculous family drama with a fake kiss that gets a little too real, he finds out that messy can be fun. Maybe even a little addicting. And as the night grows longer, Allie and Winston make a list of other wild things they could do together—and what seems like a mismatch leads to a genuine connection. But can their relationship survive as their real lives implode just outside the bedroom door?

My Review:
I enjoyed this book. There aren't many stories out there where the hero is so much older than the heroine (Winston is almost 40, Allie is 26). 

But it worked in this story just because of who Allie is. She's a character and I loved her. Nothing holds her back. She has her own incredible sense of style (seriously, my favorite part of each scene was hearing the descriptions of what she's wearing). But that's not all there is to her. She's not afraid of failure (at least in life...not so much in relationships) so she's been incredibly successful in business. She's made her own way in this world and owns her success...even if her family underestimates what she's done. 

But for all her flamboyance, there is the opposite with Winston. He's a staid, very reserved Brit who's moved to NYC to keep an eye on his flamboyant 18 yo daughter while she goes to college. I loved him, because he's very aware of his faults and what caused the ruin of his relationship with his ex-wife. Allie intimidates him, but he also can't help but be intrigued. I loved the two of them together. 

There's a huge cast of characters that I play into this story. I especially loved the ones surrounding Winston. His assistant, Chasity, was awesome. I loved her so much. Bea was pretty awesome, too. Neither one of them held back when it came to calling Winston on his actions.

There was one little thing that I hated about this book. I hate how Allie's family treats her like she's something to be endured and that she's flighty. That gave me a real oily feeling about all of them throughout a lot of the book. And in a book that I otherwise LOVED, I hated that.

Overall, I enjoyed this one. I'll admit I liked the first half of the book better than the second half (that second half dropped the rating just because it wasn't quite as scintillating). But it was still easily a solid 4* read to me. I just enjoy this author. She writes some great (and many times unexpected) characters. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: