Saturday, March 25, 2017

House Rules by Chloe Neill (audiobook)


Title:  House Rules
Author: Chloe Neill
My Rating: A-
Narrator: Sophie Eastlake

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Chicagoland Vampires #7
Main Characters: Merit and Ethan
Release Date: March 2013 (audiobook)
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
In a city full of vampires, trouble never sleeps.

At the tender age of twenty-seven, Merit became a sword-wielding vampire. Since then, she’s become the protector of her House, watched Chicago nearly burn to the ground, and seen her Master fall and rise. Now she’ll see her mettle—and her metal—tested like never before.

It started with two . . . Two rogues vanishing without a trace. Someone is targeting Chicago’s vampires, and anyone could be next. With their house in peril, Merit and her Master, the centuries-old Ethan Sullivan, must race to stop the disappearances. But as they untangle a web of secret alliances and ancient evils, they realize their foe is more familiar, and more powerful, than they could have ever imagined.
My Review:
Overall: 4.25
Performance: 4.5
Story: 4.0

It's been a couple of years since I read one of the Chicagoland Vampire books, although it is easily one of my favorite urban fantasy series. I decided recently to pick up again via audiobook...and I'm so glad I did. I've missed Merit. 

In this book, Cadigan House is on the cusp of the ceremony breaking all their ties with the GP, so nerves are very high. Add to that, there appears to be a vampire serial killer on the loose and Merit still hasn't come clean with Ethan that she's joining the Red Guard. There's a whole lot of stress on Merit...and Ethan. 

But with all that going on, I really like where Merit and Ethan are. There's no doubts between them anymore (for the most part) and they are a united front in trying to do what's best for Cadigan House and the vampires in general. It feels like Merit finally has earned the respect she deserves...not only from Ethan, but from the majority of the vampires. Yes, she's still young, but she's strong and willing to do what she needs to that gets the job done. They recognize that in her now...and this series is even better for it. 

I also really like where the series is going overall. The separation from the GP for Cadigan House is not going to be easy, but I foresee that creating some great drama in the future. It will be interesting to see what happens with the other two houses in Chicago. 

Overall, I just really enjoy this series. This book was action packed and riveting. I listened to it in just two days because I didn't want to step away from the story.

And the best part now...since I took a break, I can devour several books in the series back to back.

No comments: