Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Danced Close by Annabeth Albert



Title: Danced Close
Author: Annabeth Albert
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: Portland Heat #6
Main Characters: Todd and Kendall
Release Date: March 2017
Publisher: Lyrical Shine
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Portland, Oregon, is one of the hottest cities in America. Just ask all the hard-working men sweating it up behind the counters of the restaurants, boutiques, and cafés all over town ... 

Newly clean and sober, Todd's taken a shine to his job at Portland's most talked about bakery. It's not just the delicious desserts they sell, but the tasty treats who keep walking through the door. That certainly includes Kendall Rose, a wedding planner with eyes the color of brown sugar and skin to match. Todd doesn't try to hide his attraction to Kendall's elegant confidence and unique style, even as he worries about exposing the secrets of his past.

For Kendall, the attention is just part of the anything-goes Portland he's grown to love. But he's still looking for that special someone who will embrace all of him—including his gender fluidity. So he takes a chance and asks Todd to be his partner in a dance class leading to a fundraiser. When the music starts and he takes Todd in his arms, Kendall is shocked at how good it feels. Turns out taking the lead for once isn't a mistake. In fact, it might be time to take the next step and follow his heart ...
 
My Review:
I have loved this series, but I'll admit this one didn't quite live up to my expectations for this series. I think the main issue was a lack of true conflict. Both the MC's have issues with self-confidence, but that was it for the conflict in the book. Add to that...there were two basic scenes...dancing and prepping for a wedding...that seemed to be on constant replay with just slight changes through the details. There just wasn't enough meat to this book to make it as good as the rest of the series.

But with that being said, what is in this book is good. I loved Kendall and the focus on his gender fluidity. I've honestly never really considered that being such an issue for some people and that's probably ignorant of me. I loved the book for highlighting how difficult it can be for someone like Kendall. He's not transitioning. He just dresses in a more feminine manner a lot of the time. I LOVED his sense of style. The visuals the author created of his outfits were incredible. I also really liked the aspect of the dancing. Todd grew up competing in ballroom dancing and as such, is a pro. He's also incredibly accepting and even turned on by exactly who Kendall is. I loved that.

So, a mixed review, but the book was an easy read. And if you're like me and love the Portland Heat series, this book is a must read regardless.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: