Monday, February 6, 2017

Working It by Christine D'Abo

Title: Working It
Author: Christine D'Abo
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance  (m/m)
Series: Ringside Romance #1
Main Characters:  Nolan and Zack
Release Date: February 2017
Publisher:  Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Nolan Carmichael is getting a fresh start—new career, new company, new life. The only problem is, he liked his old life just fine . . . until an accident robbed him of his health, his job, his self-confidence, and his ability to go out in public without having anxiety attacks.

Zack Anderson has scared away his last four administrative assistants. So when he hires Nolan on a whim, he’s not too worried, since Nolan will be gone within the week anyway. Two weeks later, Nolan has made himself indispensable, completely reforming Zack’s schedule, life . . . and libido.

But in a company already torn by internal politics, one wrong step could ruin both their careers. And not only are they working to reopen Ringside Gym, Zack’s retreat when he was a troubled teen, but they also can’t help themselves falling for each other. If only the rest of their lives could go as smoothly as things do when they’re alone together.

My Review:

I adored this book so much. I started reading it one morning when I had a huge to do list. I only planned to read a chapter or two. Well, five hours later, I hadn't done a single thing on my to-do list, but I'd finished this book. I loved it so, so much. 

Nolan is at the heart of this story. Two years before he was in a horrific car wreck. It's taken this long for him to recover physically and mentally... well partly on the mental part. He still suffers from extreme anxiety and PTSD, but it's time to move on with his life, which means he needs to get a job. He used to be a professional trainer. He would go into businesses and give presentations to their employees on how to relate to people. Well, standing in front of a crowd is an impossibility now, so he's applying for a job as a personal assistant...and ends up working for Zack.

Zack is an executive at Compass who has a reputation for being the worst person in the world to work for. He's famous for running is secretaries off...either by firing them or traumatizing them. They rarely last more than a week. He has a vicious temper, but the two of them do well together...even with Zack's temper. They quickly develop a rapport. Yes, Nolan has issues, but he's extremely good at his job and Zack can't help but respect that. 

And, yes, both guys are gay although neither man realizes that at first. Their attraction is instantaneous, but this is a work situation which means nothing can come from it. But as the story develops and Ethan's vulnerabilities (and honestly, Zack's, too) become more apparent, they get closer...become a kind of friends and that quickly develops to more. 

Everything about this story was really well written. The story was enthralling, the characters so empathetic. I wanted to just wrap these guys up and hug them. I honestly liked what each of them brought to the relationship, too. With Nolan's issues, you would think he's the one who really needs the support of a partner, but I honestly think in the end, Zack needed that just as much if not more. I loved this story and romance. 

I'm so excited that there's more to come from this series. This start was fantastic. I think I'm going to have to buy this one in print for my keeper shelf.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: