Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Unexpectedly Hers by Jamie Beck

Title: Unexpectedly Hers
Author: Jamie Beck
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance  
Series: Sterling Canyon #3
Main Characters:  Emma and Wyatt
Release Date: February 2017
Publisher:  Montlake
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
By day, bashful wallflower Emma Duffy works at her family’s bed-and-breakfast. By night, she secretly pens erotic romance hot enough to melt the snow in their cozy Rockies town.
But Emma’s real life is about to heat up when her mother books the entire inn to a professional snowboarder, hoping the publicity will put them on the map. In a karmic twist of fate, that guest is Wyatt Lawson, the man with whom Emma had shared the secret one-night stand that became the inspiration for her novel and its dreamy hero. Worse, a film crew is documenting his comeback just as her debut is about to hit the shelves. Emma’s only saving grace is that Wyatt doesn’t remember her—and hopefully he never will.
When Wyatt arrives in Sterling Canyon for several weeks of intense training, the last tumble he expects to take is falling for a girl, especially one as shy as Emma. Unlike groupies with their hidden agendas, she isn’t using him—or so he believes…until the film crew uncovers Emma’s pen name and steamy novel.
Wyatt’s comeback run can withstand a fall or two, but can his heart recover from this crash and burn?
My Review:
There aren't many books out there that are centered around snowboarding. I really enjoyed that aspect of it. I also really liked the complex backstory for Wyatt with his brother Ryder...even while it broke my heart. Ryder's snowboarding accident has left deep scars on both the brothers. I also liked how that story line tied in Trip and Gray's business (both heroes from previous books in this series).

The heroine in this book, Emma, wasn't quite as straightforward for me. I did like the back story between Emma and Ryder, although the reveal of those facts fell a little flat in the grand scheme of conflict, which was a disappointment. And I liked her secret identity/life. BUT...and this is a big one...I was NOT a fan of how she came across in the book. She never did stand up to her mother, which I had real issues with. And despite her secret life as an erotica writer, Emma constantly came across as way too restrained and sedate. Even with her secret life and some somewhat sexy scenes, her entire personality made the book read like a sweet, inspirational book...which I'm not a fan of. That made me sad because there was some great set up to this story that could have been epic for my enjoyment. But personally, this book didn't work for me because of Emma's personality.

But the book was very readable and there was a lot to the story that was good. I liked the set up with the snowboarding. The details were fun to read about. I also enjoyed the inn and the reality show setup. My favorite details were absolutely the brothers. I also liked the glimpses of Andy. I'd love for him to get a story eventually after rebuilding his life. 

So, overall a mixed review. There were some good things and a few details that I had issues with. But it was still an entertaining read and I'm definitely not sad that I put the time into enjoying it. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: