Saturday, February 25, 2017

The Wall of Winnipeg by Mariana Zapata (audiobook)

Title:  The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
Author: Mariana Zapata
My Rating: A
Narrator: Callie Dalton

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series
Main Characters: Vanessa and Aiden
Release Date: May 2016 (audiobook)
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: spicy




Story Overview:
16 hrs

Vanessa Mazur knows she's doing the right thing. She shouldn't feel bad for quitting. Being an assistant/housekeeper/fairy godmother to the top defensive end in the National Football Organization was always supposed to be temporary. She has plans and none of them include washing extra-large underwear longer than necessary.

But when Aiden Graves shows up at her door wanting her to come back, she's beyond shocked.

For two years, the man known as The Wall of Winnipeg couldn't find it in him to tell her good morning or congratulate her on her birthday. Now? He's asking for the unthinkable.

What do you say to the man who is used to getting everything he wants?
My Review:
Overall: 4.5
Performance: 4.5
Story: 4.25

I have no idea how I ended up picking up this audio, but I'm so glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed this story, but be ready to sit back and relax because this romance is a very SLOW build. 

When the book begins, Aiden is awful. In fact, he's pretty much the anti-hero. He's stoic and almost brutish in how he deals with Vanessa. But as the story develops, he gets a little bit better...not all the way better...because that's not his personality. There are very good (and yes, painful) reasons why he is the way he is. And as all of that is slowly revealed it becomes more and more obvious how perfect these two are for each other. Their backgrounds are extremely similar. It's just their reactions and development of character that sets them apart. 

While Aiden's background was rough, Vanessa's was downright painful to listen to. No wonder he fell for her...how could he not when he realizes just how much she's overcome. Gah...she's a great heroine. I really did love her and her gumption and determination to accomplish her goals. Even with the marathon running...she just has so much character. 

I loved that Aiden eventually starts to realize that, too. He definitely has an interesting character arc. When the book begins he's so focused on his own determination that he can't see what's happening with the people around him. I loved seeing that slowly change as he became a more empathetic...and human...soul. 

And then in the background of all of the build between the two of them there's Zach. He's Aiden's roommate, but he's truly Vanessa's friend. I loved him so much. I hope he someday gets a story. 

The book was really good. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it on audio. I honestly think it would have moved too slowly for me if I'd been reading it instead. But there's enough inflection in audio that it kept all the slower internal dialogue so that it didn't slow down the pacing of the story. 

No comments: