Wednesday, February 1, 2017

The Bartender by Piper Rayne

Title: The Bartender
Author: Piper Rayne
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance  
Series: #1
Main Characters:  Cole and Whitney
Release Date: February 2017
Publisher:  
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Who knew sleeping with the enemy could be this fun?


Was the one night stand a good idea?

Well, no. Probably not in retrospect.

In my defense I had just moved back into my grandparent’s house, I’d lost my dream job, and a guy on Tinder had stood me up. It was like life had suddenly stamped ‘LOSER’ on my forehead.

So when the guy behind the bar started giving me THE look…you know, the one that promised I’d be screaming his name into the wee hours of the morning? When that guy also has the perfect amount of scruff on his chiseled chin, biceps bulging out of his t-shirt, and a cocky grin you knew he’d earned in the sack…when he gives you that look, you don’t bother to figure out what your six degrees of separation are. You jump on that horse and ride it!

Pun fully and completely intended. And accurate by the way.

I fully admit to feeling sorry for myself and acting impulsively, but by the time I’d figured out WHO the bartender was, I was already falling for him.

My Review:
Heads up...this is the first book by this author (who is actually the penname for two other authors now writing together). This is going to be an author who you watch for, because this was a great debut novel. It was entertaining and fun with a touch of humor that can't be debated...hey, any book that has a unicorn cock in it, you know is going to be fun. 

Whit isn't having a good year...in fact, her life has pretty much blown up, but she has her grandparents and her two best friends, so she's not at rock bottom yet. She's been there before and knows that she's not going back. This is a girl who's determined to overcome...and that means getting back on the horse...or cock as the case may be.

When her Tinder date is a no show, the cute bartender seems like a good idea. But you know how it goes...sometimes the best ideas...aren't. LOL

I liked the way this story played out and I really loved Cole. I love that his past is so flawed, but he's trying to do and be better. I really felt for him especially when it came to his family who don't 'see' him at all. 

Whit has a few blame issues to deal with. Her own past that's tied to Cole haunts her, but that's where her character arc comes in. I liked watching her come to some important realizations and grow as a person.

There were some twists to the story line that kept it interesting...hello, whiskey brewery and beautiful venues. The heroine has a snarky sense of humor that I love (again, I say unicorn cock...seriously, I loved that thread running through the story)...and her sense of humor and deprecation doesn't end there.

Her two friends are...interesting. There were times in the story where I felt a disconnect to them because their characters were a little inconsistent. But even with that, I'm looking forward to seeing how their stories play out. Their characters have a great basis for superb heroines...one is a tough, tattooed chick who doesn't let anyone get close (she's going to be a tough nut for a hero to crack) and the other is a society darling who's going to find trust a real challenge. They both promise great stories...and lucky for us, those books are releasing in the next two months...whoohoo.

Overall, this was simply a great debut novel. Now bring on the next two...The Banker and The Boxer. YUM!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: