Friday, February 10, 2017

Lost Wolf by Stacy Claflin (audiobook)

Title:  Lost Wolf
Author: Stacy Claflin
My Rating: B
Narrator: Elise Arsonault and Rudy Sanda

Genre: Paranormal Romance 
Series: Curse of the Moon #1
Main Characters: Victoria and Toby
Release Date: December 2016 (audiobook)
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: g-rated

Story Overview:
She’s hiding a dark secret. It already killed her once. 

Victoria can’t wait to start college, but there’s a hitch—she can’t remember anything before arriving on campus. Her memories finally spark when she sees her ruggedly handsome math professor, but she senses something terrible happened. The shock on his face affirms her fears. 

Toby is an alpha wolf who never thought he’d see his true love again—not after she died in his arms. Nothing could have prepared him for her walking into his class. But to his dismay, not only has she forgotten the past, she doesn’t even know who she is. 

He’s determined to do whatever it takes to restore what they’ve lost. Can Toby help Victoria recover her memories, or will he lose her forever? 

USA Today bestselling author, Stacy Claflin, brings you Lost Wolf, the first book in the Curse of the Moon series. It’s a paranormal romantic suspense saga that features gripping supernatural drama, surprising twists, dynamic characters, and heart-pounding romance. 

Read Lost Wolf today to satisfy your craving for a fast-paced paranormal tale.

My Review:
Overall: 3.5
Performance: 4.0
Story: 3.0

Overall, I enjoyed listening to this audiobook. There were a few issues with the story though and I believe that part of that may have been world issues that weren't clarified...maybe. When the book begins, it's with Victoria realizing she has no memories of her life before this moment. And this is where I had the biggest issue with this story. The girl doesn't freak out...at all. She's really rather chill and laidback about it all, and that just didn't feel right. Now, like I mentioned before, this could be an unclarified world detail. This is a paranormal world and as the story develops, it's obvious that something supernatural has happened to Victoria. Is it possible that whatever happened to her (maybe a spell of some sort) that it could have also calmed her so she wouldn't react to her bizarre circumstances (I'm thinking a calming spell, maybe?) But I don't know...it's never explained and left as it was, it just didn't feel quite right. 

But that was just a little niggle. There were a lot of unanswered questions that flow throughout the story. And it's going to be hard to discuss any of them without revealing spoilers, because there are definitely a TON of unknowns throughout this story. Some answers are revealed in the story and some that are not. This is one of three books and there are a few other things that bothered me, but again, just like my initial niggle, I'm just not sure. At the end of this book, the story is nowhere close to being done...so it's possible that those things will be explained later. 

At times, the characters read as a little shallow. They are all going through some big emotional hits and that didn't always translate into their actions. 

Overall, I did enjoy listening to the audiobook. I thought the narrators did a good job. The world was interesting enough to keep me captivated. I'm just now sure about the story line between Toby and Victoria. I think I needed them to be more emotionally vested in one another to get me more emotionally invested. 

So kind of a wishy-washy review, but the book kind of gave me that feeling, too.

No comments: