Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Hard Wired by Megan Erickson and Santino Hassell

Title: Hard Wired
Author: Megan Erickson and Santino Hassell
My Rating: A-

Genre: Contemporary Romance  (m/m)
Series: Cyberlove #3
Main Characters:  Jesse and Ian
Release Date: February 2017
Publisher:  Megtino Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot




Story Overview:
My FallenCon agenda is simple: sit on a couple of panels and let people meet the real me. Jesse Garvy—mod of a famous Twitch channel and, if I ever come out of my shell, future vlogger. I definitely didn’t plan to sleep with a moody tattooed fan-artist, but he’s gorgeous and can’t keep his hands off me. There's a first time for everything, and my first time with a guy turns out to be the hottest experience of my life.

But the next day, I find out my moody fan-artist is Ian Larsen AKA Cherry—someone I've known online for years. And he'd known exactly who I was while shoving me up against that wall. Before I figure out whether to be pissed or flattered, the con ends.

Now we're back online, and he's acting like nothing happened. But despite the distance between us, and the way he clings to the safety of his online persona, we made a real connection that night. I don't plan to let him forget.
My Review:
Garvy and Cherry were in the last book in this series as Kai's mods. Everyone just assumes Cherry is a girl based upon his emoji-filled, cheerleader-esque chat...but that's not who he is at all. Hang tight because this is where it gets confusing. Cherry is really Ian, but he's also Cerise, an angsty, very sexually active artist who also does the con circuit selling art and having sex in back hallways. Cerise is armor. Cherry is connection. Ian is the real, vulnerable guy who doesn't know how to be himself.

I know it sounds confusing...believe me, Garvy (Jesse) feels the same way. He just doesn't get it. He truly likes Ian, but all the different faces confuse him, especially when Ian doesn't want to be with Jesse as Cerise. OMG...trying to explain this book is craziness. 

So...to boil it down...Ian has layers and depths and complications. Jesse does not. LOL. With Jesse, what you see is what you get. He's a blond surfer dude without a whole lot of ambition...but there are reasons (i.e. read complications) as to why he's that way, too. 

In other words, there's a whole heck of a lot of angst in this book. But it's all done in the middle of the gaymer world, which I find fascinating. There were moments in the story when I wanted to shake Ian and tell him to wake up because he was totally blowing a good thing. And times when I wanted to shove Jesse so he'd get out there and 'do' something...but that was the source of their conflict. They're both pretty messed up, but that's what makes a Megtino book so good to read. Their characters have lots of depths and real flaws. They aren't dream heroes. They're normal guys trying to muddle through to one another. It works. 

There are also some great side characters with lots of drama happening that could provide really great fodder for upcoming books. I look forward to seeing where the series goes from here.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: