Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The Queen and the Homo Jock King by TJ Klune (audiobook)

Title:  The Queen and the Homo Jock King
Author: TJ Klune
My Rating: A+
Narrator: Michael Lesley

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: At First Sight #2
Main Characters: Sandy and Darren
Release Date: August 2016 (audiobook)
Publisher: Dreamspinner
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Do you believe in love at first sight?

Sanford Stewart sure doesn't. In fact, he pretty much believes in the exact opposite, thanks to the Homo Jock King. It seems Darren Mayne lives for nothing more than to create chaos in Sandy’s perfectly ordered life, just for the hell of it. Sandy despises him, and nothing will ever change his mind.

Or so he tells himself.

It's not until the owner of Jack It—the club where Sandy performs as drag queen Helena Handbasket—comes to him with a desperate proposition that Sandy realizes he might have to put his feelings about Darren aside. Because Jack It will close unless someone can convince Andrew Taylor, the mayor of Tucson, to keep it open.

Someone like Darren, the mayor’s illegitimate son.

The foolproof plan is this: seduce Darren and push him to convince his father to renew Jack It’s contract with the city.

Simple, right?

Wrong.


My Review:
Overall: 4.75
Performance: 5.0
Story: 4.75

There was so much happy to this story. Seriously, the audiobook was 18 hours of me sitting and listening and giggling while my family looked at me like I was nuts (and I couldn't even explain because they wouldn't understand me even reading this book, much less why I enjoyed it so much...but honestly, that's a common occurrence with my reading, but I digress). This book was all the things. It was so freaking funny, but at the same time had poignant moments that broke my heart. 

Sandy and Darren....my heart, but they weren't all that made this book what it was...fantastic. No, the cast of characters were amazing, too, their quips fantastically humorous, and the bonds between the group made this story everything I ever could have hoped and so much more. 

And it must be noted early in this review that the narrator, Michael Lesley, is brilliant. He does the breathy voices of Sandy/Helena so perfectly while still managing the depths and outrage of Darren and his fellow jocks. It was truly narration perfection!!! The pauses, the gasps, the sounds of outrage and nervousness...Michael Lesley mastered them all. It was truly one of the best audiobooks I've ever listened to...which is why I spent hours laughing to (seemingly) myself with headphones in my ears because I didn't want the audiobook to ever stop...even after 18 hours. 

And that brings me back to Sandy and Darren...two characters who seem at the beginning to truly despise one another. But there are reasons...heartbreaking ones...why things are so bad between them. And it broke my heart for both of them. Darren aches for Sandy...it's so obvious within the story, but Sandy can't forgive the hurt. *sob* Seriously, it's all so good and emotional, but the fact that Sandy is an over the top drama queen (surrounded by equally over the top other drama queens) keeps the story from getting too deep and depressing. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Seriously...laughing out loud...I did it throughout the ENTIRE book. It was so fun and funny. One of the most enjoyable and outrageous books I've ever read. I need to buy it in print and see if that translates to just reading the book. BUT regardless, I can't recommend the audiobook enough. It was everything happy and sunny and fun...with a truly beautiful love story too.

No comments: