Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Someone Like You by Lauren Layne

Title: Someone Like You
Author: Lauren Layne
My Rating: A+

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Oxford #3
Main Characters: Lincoln and Daisy
Release Date: December 2016
Publisher:  Loveswept
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Lauren Layne’s bestselling Oxford Series continues with the poignant, heartwarming story of New York’s most eligible bachelor, Lincoln Mathis, a man who’s living a lie—until his dream woman takes away the pain.

Lincoln Mathis doesn’t hide his reputation as Manhattan’s ultimate playboy. In fact, he cultivates it. But behind every flirtatious smile, each provocative quip, there’s a secret that Lincoln’s hiding from even his closest friends—a tragedy from his past that holds his heart quietly captive. Lincoln knows what he wants: someone like Daisy Sinclair, the sassy, off-limits bridesmaid he can’t take his eyes off at his best friend’s wedding. He also knows that she’s everything he can never have.

After a devastating divorce, Daisy doesn’t need anyone to warn her off the charming best man at her sister’s wedding. One look at the breathtakingly hot Lincoln Mathis and she knows that he’s exactly the type of man she should avoid. But when Daisy stumbles upon Lincoln’s secret, she realizes there’s more to the charming playboy than meets the eye. And suddenly Daisy and Lincoln find their lives helplessly entwined in a journey that will either heal their damaged souls . . . or destroy them forever.

My Review:
Confession...I don't think I've ever read a Lauren Layne book that I didn't love. She's just that good of a writer, but this book had a different feel from her other books. And I still loved it. In fact, this book is right at the top of the list for my favorite release of hers...even though it's missing some of her trademark feel and snappy dialogue that her books have always been known for. No...what this book has going for it instead...is deep emotional upheaval. Both of these characters are broken...and wow, I didn't know she had it in her, but Lauren Layne can write broken well. 

Lincoln...we've known him and loved him from the other books. He's the guy every woman wants and undeniable flirt. He's comfortable with who he is...as evidenced by his heavy use of pink and sweet alcoholic concoctions he drinks. But all of that is a facade hiding some deep, dark, heartbreaking secrets...seriously, HEARTBREAKING.

His heroine is Daisy. She's Emma's twin sister, who also is a bit broken after a really bad divorce. She also has secrets. The two are best man and maid of honor for Emma's wedding. Just by the fact that they are the last two single people in this crew, they are thrown together. But then they discover that they truly like one another and become friends. Each of them recognizes the concealed broken parts in the other. 

It's no secret that I love books that are high in emotional angst. This one has all that and more. There have been hints that there was more to Lincoln's story than the wandering playboy thing he had going on, but I had no idea. Wow...serious tears as his story was revealed. And I love Daisy for the support she gives him. She gets him. In fact, they really understand one another really, really well and that's what makes this book so good. They're perfect for one another, but it's so hard to trust that with all the pain that's come before for them. 

And then there is the other aspect that makes this series so good...the group of friends. I haven't read the Stilettos (I know, I know...I need to make that a 2017 resolution), but I adore the Oxford team. The bromance between the guys...I love it so much and that shows again in this book. They take care of Lincoln. That moment...gah...so many tears. I just love all of them and the total snark, but support they bring to any gathering. They're all awesome! 

I'm so excited that this isn't the end. Taylor and Nick...I cannot wait!!



No comments: