Friday, January 27, 2017

F*ck Club: Riley by Shiloh Walker

Title: F*ck Club
Author: Shiloh Walker
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance  
Series: F*ck Club #1
Main Characters:  Riley and Bree
Release Date: January 2016
Publisher:  -
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
"The first rule of F*ck Club...we don’t talk about it. We just do the job and get paid." 

And Riley Steele did his job very well. He’ll be the first to admit that his current life isn’t the one he’d foreseen. It’s not even one he really wants, but after his parents died and he was left to care for two siblings and a mountain of debt, he was willing to do almost anything. 

Now, after almost ten years of being paid to pleasure, he’s almost numb to it…and to women. 

That all changes with one phone call. Brianna Sharpe, the girl he’d loved as a boy, is leaving an abusive lover and needs someplace to hide. 

Opening his home to Bree is easy. Protecting his heart is a different story. She’d completely shattered it once already. But Bree has changed and Riley wants to think there might be a chance. Only...what will she do when she discovers his secrets?

My Review:
This is a hard book for me to rate and review. On the one hand, I adored the premise and cannot wait for more books to come in this series. I love all the characters and their back stories. On the other hand, this book didn't *quite* do it for me, and the reasons for that were complicated. 

I love both Bree and Riley individually as characters. They were both awesome even while their back stories and how they got to this point were heartbreaking. I cheered for both of them and wanted them to be happy and find their hea. 

BUT, for me reading this book, their chemistry just wasn't there. I felt like Riley was in love and infatuated with the girl he lost, not the woman standing in front of him. It seemed like so much of their attraction was anchored in the past and their memories...not the here and now. 

So, the romance wasn't quite on par for me in this book, but that didn't change the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book and seriously cannot wait for the next two books in the series. Con ended this story in a somewhat bad place and every time Shame's background was mentioned, my heart broke for him. The setup is there for some great and angst-filled stories and I cannot wait to read them. 

So, a mixed review...but don't let that stop you from picking up this book. I know that chemistry between characters is one of those subjective things that varies from reader to reader. Everything else about this book worked for me, so in that regard, I definitely can recommend it...and then you can decide if you like Riley and Bree together or not.
I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: