Tuesday, January 31, 2017

At Close Range by Laura Griffin

Title: At Close Range
Author: Laura Griffin
My Rating: A

Genre: Romantic Suspense  
Series: Tracers #11
Main Characters:  Dani and Scott
Release Date: January 2017
Publisher:  Pocket Books
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
New York Times bestselling author Laura Griffin “delivers the goods” (Publishers Weekly) again with the eleventh title in the gritty, heart-pounding Tracers series.

When a lakeside tryst ends in a double murder, police detective Daniele Harper arrives on the scene determined to get answers. Clues are everywhere, but nothing adds up. Dani turns to the Delphi Center crime lab for help, but soon regrets it when her secret attraction to their chief firearms examiner threatens to distract her from the most important case of her career.

As a ballistics expert and former Navy SEAL, Scott Black knows firearms, and he knows he can help Dani unravel her case. Scott has managed to hide his interest in his best friend’s younger sister for years, but when her investigation brings them together, the sparks between them quickly get out of control. Scott resolves to keep his hands off Dani and his eyes on the goal—identifying a killer. But when that killer zeroes in on Dani, all bets are off. There isn’t a line Scott won’t cross to convince Dani to trust him so that he can help her take down a ruthless murderer who has her in his sights.

My Review:
I'm an introvert. I don't want to be around people because it makes me incredibly uncomfortable. That's a fact, but if I was ever given a chance to observe Laura Griffin's writing process, I would jump at the chance. I would absolutely go into what I would find to be a horrifically awkward situation just because I think she's a brilliant writer. OMG, I love her books so much...and I'll be honest...every single book I forget just how incredible she writes until I start the next one and get blown away. This book was no different. It was fabulous!

Okay, so time to stop fangirling and talk about this book. This book features Dani and Scott. Dani is a rookie detective (this is her fifth full-blown case) and because her boss's wife is on the cusp of delivering their baby, she's put in charge...it's her first time in that position. She feels completely out of her element...mainly because this is an incredibly complex case covering lots of territory and people with virtually nothing in the way of leads. 

Scott is a former SEAL who now works ballistics forensics. He's known Dani almost her entire life since he's best friends with her brother. Unfortunately, that means he can't do a thing about the attraction he feels for her. Her brother will kill him if he sleeps with her and then moves on, which is his normal M.O. 

I love books where the characters are in denial about their attraction...like they can just shove it aside and not have it come to the forefront. Um, hello...this is a romance. You know that's not going to happen. But both Dani and Scott really do try...despite working really closely together trying to puzzle out this series of murders. That made from some impressive chemistry and scintillating scenes.

I loved both Scott and Dani as individual characters, but when they settled into a sort of cooperation, I loved them even more. And I'll admit that I did love the scenes where Dani's brother showed up, too. Classic.

Then there's the suspense line. Wow...this is where I want to sit over Laura Griffin's shoulder and see just how she researches, because the breadth and width of knowledge she had to dig up for the details of this book are truly impressive. I loved that! I don't want to get into details because I don't want to give anything away, but seriously...read the book. I think you'll find it impressive, too.

Overall, I highly recommend this book. Yes, it's #11 in the series, but rest assured, you can read it without having read the others in the series with absolutely no issues.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: