Saturday, December 31, 2016

Tell Me It's Real by TJ Klune

Title:  Tell Me It's Real
Author: TJ Klune
My Rating: A
Narrator: Michael Lesley

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: At First Sight #1
Main Characters: Vince and Paul
Release Date: June 2014 (audiobook)
Publisher: Dreamspinner
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
Do you believe in love at first sight?

Paul Auster doesn't. Paul doesn't believe in much at all. He's thirty, slightly overweight, and his best features are his acerbic wit and the color commentary he provides as life passes him by. His closest friends are a two-legged dog named Wheels and a quasibipolar drag queen named Helena Handbasket. He works a dead-end job in a soul-sucking cubicle, and if his grandmother's homophobic parrot insults him one more time, Paul is going to wring its stupid neck.

Enter Vince Taylor.

Vince is everything Paul isn't: Sexy, confident, and dumber than the proverbial box of rocks. And for some reason, Vince pursues Paul relentlessly. Vince must be messing with him, because there is no way Vince could want someone like Paul.

But when Paul hits Vince with his car - in a completely unintentional if-he-died-it'd-only-be-manslaughter kind of way - he's forced to see Vince in a whole new light. The only thing stopping Paul from believing in Vince is himself - and that is one obstacle Paul can't quite seem to overcome. But when tragedy strikes Vince's family, Paul must put aside any notions he has about himself and stand next to the man who thinks he's perfect the way he is.

My Review:
Overall: 4.5
Performance: 4.75
Story: 4.25

Yes, I listened to these two books out of order. My review for The Queen and the Homo Jock King went up last week, but I loved it so much, I had to go back and listen to Vince and Paul's story, too. And this story did not disappoint. It was not quite as emotion filled as the other, but I still loved the book (it's also significantly shorter...10 hours vs 18 hours, so that affects the author's ability to develop the story so deeply...not that this book isn't fully developed, because it totally is).

This is a story that is over the top (just like TQATHJK)...and I giggled all the way through it. I'll be honest though, if I had read it, it probably would have driven me nuts, but all that 'drama' worked in the audiobook format...so well. TJ Klune books are definitely taking up a lot of my audiobook time. They're long, so it works well...plus sometimes his writing prose is difficult to read, but it works really, really well in the audiobook format.

This is a book where the normal guy, Paul, gets the gorgeous hunk, Vince. I love those types of stories, although there was a point where I thought Paul got a tiny bit too whiney and that he just needed to get over himself and see the fantastic guy who was in front of him and so into him. Vince was awesome! He is REALLY into Paul...like to an "awww" extent. Seriously, he had so many moments in this book where Vince just totally melted my heart. When he would confess to being half in love with Paul...my heart. I adored Vince. He's truly an awesome character and then when I found out all that he's been through/is going through, I fell in love with him even more. 

But the story is told entirely from Paul's pov. I could understand him...because he is a normal guy who is slightly overweight and definitely not the most confident guy. He truly looks at Vince (who's gorgeous) and doesn't understand or get that Vince is truly interested in him. He can't believe or trust that...and after a while that truly hurt to read, especially as I saw more and more of Vince's actions. 

But the story is fun...so entertaining. Just like with the second book in the series (which I read first), I was constantly giggling and laughing out loud while listening to this one. My family definitely gave me some strange looks while I was listening to it when they were around. 

I definitely recommend it...and if you're like me and sometimes have issues with humorous books driving you batty to read, I highly recommend the audiobook version. The narrator for this series is brilliant!

No comments: