Thursday, December 29, 2016

Smoke & Mirrors by Charlie Cochet

Title: Smoke & Mirrors
Author: Charlie Cochet
My Rating: A-

Genre: Paranormal Romance (m/m)
Series: THIRDS #7
Main Characters: Dex and Sloane
Release Date: July 2016
Publisher:  Dreamspinner
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Life for Dexter J. Daley has never been easy, but he’s always found a way to pick himself back up with a smile on his face. Taken from his home, and the arms of his boyfriend and THIRDS partner, Sloane Brodie, Dex finds himself in a situation as mysterious and lethal as the Therian interrogating him. Dex learns what he’s secretly believed all along: his parents’ death wasn’t an accident.

Discovering the whole truth about John and Gina Daley’s homicide sets off a series of events that will change Dex and Sloane’s lives forever. As buried secrets rise to the surface and new truths are revealed, Dex and Sloane’s love for each other is put to the test, with more than their relationship on the line. If traversing the waters of murder and secret government agencies wasn’t enough, something inexplicable has been happening to Dex—and nothing will ever be the same.

My Quickie Review:
Ooh, this book changes everything in Dex and Sloane's lives and I can't wait to see where this series goes from here. It was fantastic! In fact, it was so good...I started listening to it on audio, but then had to put it aside because I wanted to read it faster. I needed to know what was going on and what was going to happen. So, I picked up my print book to read faster...yes, this is a series I buy in audio, ebook, and print. I love THIRDS.

In this book, poor Dex is getting beat up again as he's kidnapped, but I don't know who suffers more when this happens...Sloane or Dex.

I loved how this book went back to the origins of Dex's coming to live with Maddock...and how that all circled back around to his relationship with Sloane. So fantastic, and honestly that final line could have easily been the perfect finale for the series...although I'm so happy that it isn't. The only thing that niggled is the way the conflict went down between Dex and Sloane. As a reader, we've just been through that same drama too many times...even the characters agree. But it didn't keep me from totally fangirling over the book. Like I said, I totally can't wait to see where the author goes from here.

And please, please, please...let Seb and Hudson get their own book soon. I also liked the hints in this one that they may finally be headed toward some sort of resolution between them.


No comments: