Monday, December 19, 2016

No Small Parts by Ally Blue

Title: No Small Parts
Author: Ally Blue
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance  (m/m)
Series: Bluewater Bay #16
Main Characters:  Nat and Rafael
Release Date: December 2016
Publisher:  Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Nat Horn is almost living the dream. His part as a werewolf extra on the hit show Wolf’s Landing has somehow turned into a regular role. Beautiful rising star Solari Praveen has taken an interest in him. He’s even making enough money to think about getting out of Bluewater Bay someday. Except his retired dad’s dependence on pain medications seems to be getting worse, and Nat’s the only one around to take care of him.

When Nat learns that Solari’s interest isn’t romantic, his disappointment is surprisingly short-lived, because in getting to know her, he also got to know her assistant, Rafael. And Rafael turns out to be the kind of friend—and potential boyfriend—Nat never dared to dream about.

Distracted by his astonishing new life, new friends, and new possibilities, Nat lets his guard down, and suddenly his life goes careening out of control. Racked by guilt, he tries to push his new friends away, but the bonds he’s formed are already too strong. In fact, they’re strong enough to pull him forward, into the future he’s been longing for—but to get there, he’ll have to let go of the past.
 

My Review:
This book was so absolutely fantastic. I adored it, but what makes the book so good is all the angst in Nat's life. At the point when the book begins, Nat is pretty stuck with where he's at in life...and none of it is what he hoped for. After a logging accident four years ago, his father lives with constant pain. As a result, he's addicted to pain pills. Nat has devoted his life to taking care of his father...with no thanks for the sacrifices he's made. In fact, his dad is truly pretty awful to Nat. My heart broke to him so many times...and it's not just his father that's the problem. Gah...I really hated his sister, too. 

But the one place where things are going well for Nat is on the set of Wolf's Landing. He's found friends and a support system that he never expected there...through Solari and Rafael. Solari had an interesting side story that broke my heart. I don't normally read f/f, but I think I could make an exception to see something go good for her. I hated what happened to her in the story.

But obviously the real magic in this book comes from the relationship that develops between Rafael and Nat. I loved them together and how different they are from one another. Nat is a guy who grew up in the Pacific Northwest. He likes to hike and do outdoor things. Rafael grew up in Hollywood. He's a pure city boy, but they find a great common ground together. I also really loved how that Rafael sees Nat's potential when really no one else really does (except Anna...to a certain extent).

Like I stated before, this one was just really good. Nat is dealing with a lot of really rough things, but the book shows the value and the power of friendship in getting a person through those rough times. I almost think I love the book for that lesson almost more than I loved the romance...although I did really love the romance, too.

I definitely recommend the book. 

Note: This is #16 in this series...don't pay any attention to that. This is one of those series...yes, all the books are tied together a tiny bit, but you absolutely can come into reading any of these books at any time. It's a perfect example of a stand-alone series. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: