Friday, December 30, 2016

My Top Ten of 2016

This is one of my most favorite posts to write every year, but it's also one of the hardest to do because there are always so many good books throughout the year. 

In 2016, I read 371 books (which is a down year for me). 
Of that 371 books, 39 of them received the absolutely top mark from me.

Some random facts about those 39...

23 of them were m/f romance
15 of them were m/m romances
1 of them was an m/m/f romance
11 of them were audiobooks (yes, I seriously hiked my audiobook listens this year)
2 of them (that I know of) were the author's first book***

5 authors had 2 books on the list:
Annabeth Albert
Megan Erickson
L.A. Witt/Lauren Gallagher
Lauren Layne
R.L. Mathewson

The contenders (listed in reverse order from those most recently read...click on the title to go to my original review):
  1.  Completely Yours by Erin Nicholas
  2.  Fast Connection by Megan Erickson and Santino Hassell
  3. Wrapped Together by Annabeth Albert
  4. The Farther He Runs by Lynda Aicher
  5. First Step Forward by Liora Blake
  6. Breakaway by Avon Gale
  7. Just Drive by L.A. Witt
  8. Spinning Out by Lexi Ryan
  9. So Into You by S.E Harmon
  10. A Kind of Romance by Lane Hayes
  11. Bad Judgment by Sidney Bell
  12. The Matchmaker's Replacement by Rachel Van Dyken
  13. Connection Error by Annabeth Albert
  14. For Better or Worse by Lauren Layne
  15. Cake: A Love Story by J. Bengtsson***
  16. The Understatement of the Year by Sarina Bowen
  17. Gone Too Deep by Katie Ruggle
  18. Rush by Emma Scott
  19. Ruined by Shiloh Walker
  20. What Remains by Garrett Leigh
  21. The Hotter You Burn by Gena Showalter
  22. One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid
  23. The Game Plan by R.L. Mathewson
  24. Good Girl by Lauren Layne
  25. Heart Breaker by Erin McCarthy
  26. Phase Shift by Kelly Jensen and Jenn Burke
  27. Playing for Keeps by R.L. Mathewson
  28. That Thing Between Eli and Gwen by J.J. McAvoy
  29. Dirty by Kylie Scott
  30. Selfie by Amy Lane
  31. Calling It by Jen Doyle***
  32. The Best Laid Plans by Lauren Gallagher
  33. Emergency Engagement by Samanthe Beck
  34. Taking the Score by Kate Meader
  35. The Tycoon's Forced Bride by Jane Porter
  36. Rock-N-Soul by Lauren Sattersby
  37. Make Me Sin by J.T. Geissinger
  38. Tied to Trouble by Megan Erickson
  39. Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan
And now without further waffling on my part, here is my list of my favorite 10 reads from this year...



Fast Connection by Megan Erickson and Santino Hassell
Dominic made this book, but not for the reasons you would expect. He's not the quickest guy in the bunch, but he's so honest about his confusion and newly discovered bi-sexuality that you can't help but love him in this May/Dec romance.


The Farther He Runs by Lynda Aicher
Yep, this is a wounded hero which just happens to be my romance reading kryptonite. Add in the friends to lovers aspect and I never had a chance but to adore this story. And I really, really, really did. Another emotional one.


Spinning Out by Lexi Ryan
Out of control. Yep, that describes the characters in this book perfectly, especially the hero. Everything about this New Adult book worked for my angst-loving heart. 


The Matchmaker's Replacement by Rachel Van Dyken
I giggled all the way through both this one and the first in the series. not the only one who thought these books were great. Both the books in this fabulously fun series are getting made into movies.


Cake: A Love Story by J. Bengtsson
This book is so much more than your normal rock star love story. The first book from this author, it hit all the feels and was just amazing. I'm dying for book #2, coming in January.


Rush by Emma Scott
This book was so powerful and so emotional. It had two completely broken MC's who managed to put each other back together in the most beautiful way...through their love.

One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid
I don't do love triangles, so for me to have this on my list, tells you how truly powerful this story is. 
Two loves, true loves...this book left me with an epic hangover, but I adored it so, so much!


The Game Plan by R.L. Mathewson
I listened to this entire series on audio this year and loved almost all the books. They were so freaking funny, but this one was different in that it left me sobbing. This story took R.L. Mathewson to a whole new level of storytelling that I wouldn't have guessed she could have achieved. It was gorgeous.


Phase Shift by Jenn Burke and Kelly Jensen
Every single book in this five book series received 5-stars from me. I adored them all, but the authors created perfection with the final book. Bittersweet to hit the end of the series, but the authors made that pain oh so good! 


Selfie by Amy Lane
Amy Lane is one of those authors who regularly proves she can write amazingly good wounded heroes, but she reached all new levels with Connor in this book. As I cried tears over his pain, I wanted to crawl into the book and take care of him. Thank goodness she gave him Noah, who did a fabulous job at just that.



So, that's my $.02 on the books I read this year. If you didn't notice, I'm a huge lover of angst. All but two of these books left me in tears. I'll admit I love it when I get so emotionally involved with the characters in my books that their pain becomes my pain. It makes their Happily Ever After so much sweeter and worth the trouble of getting there.

But I also love to laugh and almost all of these books helped me with that, too. 2016 was an amazing year for good reads.

No comments: