Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Surrender to You by Shawntelle Madison

Title: Surrender To You
Author: Shawntelle Madison
My Rating: B

Genre: Erotic Romance 
Series: At Your Service #2
Main Characters: Tomas and Carlie
Release Date: July 2016
Publisher:  Loveswept
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic


Story Overview:
In this seductive novel from the author of Bound to You, two career-oriented friends with benefits discover that good morning doesn’t have to mean goodbye.
 
Late-night booty calls are the most romantic gesture that Carlie Jason expects from business magnate Tomas Goodfellow. Ever since they were teenagers, they’ve provided each other the kind of no-strings pleasures that don’t involve regrets. Now Carlie finds it easier to kiss and run rather than face the fact that she wants so much more. But when she takes a job as a concierge at one of Tomas’s properties, a hotel where the rich and famous get their kink on, Carlie’s tempted to reconsider the rules of surrender.
 
As the head of an international empire, Tomas knows how to bring out the best in his employees. Putting Carlie in charge of managing the desires of his wealthiest clients was a stroke of genius—only now that she’s close enough to touch, he finds he doesn’t want to let her go. Their long, dark history has built up intimacy in ways he’s only just beginning to understand, but Tomas isn’t ready to trust her just yet. He knows his feelings are more than skin-deep. But first he needs to convince Carlie of one thing: the ties that bind go straight to the heart.

My Review:
This is an intriguing book at first. It's obvious that Tomas and Carlie have some sort of history, but it isn't readily apparent what that history is at the beginning of the book. I liked the mystery of that and it kept me reading for the first 25% of the book. That and the book was pretty sexy too, although I'll admit to being surprised that this was a BDSM book. (And I'm not complaining about that...just an observation.) I guess I should have known from the title, huh?

There were several things that I really loved about the book. Everything about the hotel was interesting. I liked getting to see the side of it from Carlie's job as concierge. I loved the idea of the 22nd floor...wow, does that kind of thing actually exist in hotels? It probably does. The over-the-top aspect of it being in a hotel rather than a club was awesome. I loved that. I also really liked getting to see Tomas a hotelier and what he puts into the designs of his hotels.

BUT somewhere around the 50% mark of the book, that all fell apart. Up until then the book was over the top and opulent...the fantasy. Then Carlie happened and all the things that I liked about the book were shoved to the side to deal with her 'real-life' problems...which were sad, and depressing...and she really didn't take them on like I expect a heroine from a romance novel to do. She whined...a lot...and then she got worse. I hated how she treated Tomas...and never felt like the author really explored the full emotional impact of why these two friends have lived like this for so long, especially considering the depth of their love for one another. It just felt...lacking...in the end. The possibilities were there and the first half of the book was so good. It just kind of fell apart, which made me sad. I'm thinking the book truly just need a stronger, more guided editing and it could have really been fabulous. 

But, even with that being said, overall, I did enjoy the book. It just could have been...more. *sigh*

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: