Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The Bachelor Auction by Rachel Van Dyken

Title: The Bachelor Auction 
Author: Rachel Van Dyken
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance/Fairy Tale Retelling
Series: The Bachelors of Arizona #1
Main Characters: Jane and Brock
Release Date: September 2016
Publisher: Forever
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Cinderella never had to deal with this crap.

Jane isn't entirely sure that Cinderella got such a raw deal. Sure, she had a rough start, but didn't she eventually land a prince and a happily-ever-after? Meanwhile, Jane is busy waiting on her demanding, entitled sisters, running her cleaning business, and . . . yep, not a prince in sight. Until a party and a broken shoe incident leave Jane wondering if princes---or at least, a certain deliciously hunky billionaire---maybe do exist.

Except Brock Wellington isn't anyone's dream guy. Hell, a prince would never agree to be auctioned off in marriage to the highest bidder. Or act like an arrogant jerk---even if it was just a façade. Now, as Brock is waiting for the auction chopping block, he figures it's karmic retribution that he's tempted by a sexy, sassy woman he can't have. But while they can't have a fairy-tale ending, maybe they can indulge in a little bit of fantasy . .


My Review:
This story is a modern retelling of Cinderella and in that aspect it was very fun. I will admit there were a few moments when the story got a tiny bit ridiculous just because the author was trying to stay true to the original story. To tell you the truth, I think this is one of those books that would be fabulous on audio because I think there were certain lines that sounded a little over the top to read, but could really work when a narrator inflects them rather than just reading them (but that's totally a guess from having listened to her other books on audio).

Overall, this was a fun book simply because of the fairy tale retelling aspect. I love it when authors do that...and it's not easy to twist a story like that. She did a very good job with it.

Cinderella is plain Jane. She claims the Cinderella title proudly...she has a cleaning company named for the princess and it's her job for cleaning that brings her into Brock's sphere...with a little help from Brock's grandfather. (Note: there is a character in the book which fits the fairy godmother role. I actually think his grandfather fit the role in this book rather than the other character.) I liked the set-up for the two of them together. It allowed their relationship to develop naturally. 

And this book does follow the original story so there are evil sisters...I thought Rachel Van Dyken did a brilliant job with the sisters...and yes, I absolutely hated them. But that's okay...that was the desired reaction to these characters. 

Despite how much I loved Brock and Jane, I honestly think that I love Brant and Bentley, Brock's younger twin brothers, even more. They were hilarious and absolutely stole the scene every time they were on the page. And their books are set up in this one, too. I cannot wait for those books to release.

If you like fairytale twists, I think you'll like this one, too. I need to look and see if it's available on audio. If it is, I think you'll probably enjoy it even more on audio. Oh, and yes it is. Here is the link for it on Audible...http://www.audible.com/pd/Romance/The-Bachelor-Auction-Audiobook/B01M10F3LB/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srImg?qid=1476066796&sr=1-1

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: