Saturday, October 15, 2016

Dear Heart, I Hate You by J. Sterling (audiobook)

Title: Dear Heart, I Hate You
Author: J. Sterling
My Rating: B+
Narrator: Jason Clarke and Erin Mallon

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: -
Main Characters: Cal and Jules
Release Date: May 2016
Publisher: Inspire Magic
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
I didn't plan on him...or for him.
I didn't plan on anything that had to do with Cal Donovan from Boston.
Meeting him was a complete and utter surprise, taking me completely off guard. I met new people every single day in my line of work, and none of them affected me. Isn't that just the way of things? You could meet a thousand people, and they'd all mean nothing to you, but then you'd meet that one and they suddenly meant everything.
I was a self-professed workaholic. When did making yourself your number-one priority become such a horrible thing? I wasn't entirely sure, but I learned fairly quickly after my last breakup that men don't like being second on a woman's priority list. And they seemed to be intimidated by a motivated female, calling me things like hard to handle, challenging, and difficult.
Being single seemed to work best for me, and I didn't plan on changing my relationship status anytime soon.
But then I met Cal.
And he f***ing ruined everything.
My Review:
Overall: 3.75
Performance: 4.5
Story: 3.5

This story has a very slow start. When Jules and Cal meet, they are in a hotel and it's an insta-lust thing, although they don't act on that. They spend the next two days together and then go home to their separate coasts. For me, this is when the book became more intriguing. 

Both Cal and Jules are very up front about their careers absolutely come first. There is nothing that comes in between them and their jobs. So for them to even pursue a relationship when neither will want to leave their careers isn't very smart...thus the title of the book. Sometimes the heart doesn't go along with the brain. 

I enjoyed the two of them together. They were easy together...but those times are few and far between. In the meantime, they text...a lot. There are a lot of really cute moments and for a while there I thought this author was going to do the unforgivable in romance...not have a happy ending. (Hey, I've never read her books before and that has been known to happen with other popular authors.)

The narrators for this book were absolutely fabulous. It's split between a male/female narrator based on the pov of the chapter. Both of them rocked all the voices. Really, one of the best female/male narration combo I've ever heard (usually one of them doesn't work for me when they are doing the opposite sex's voices)...I loved both of these. 

Overall, I enjoyed the book. The writing is smooth and I would definitely read another by the author...I'm kind of hoping she'll choose to write one of the characters best friends. Both of them are great characters. Her girlfriend is a lawyer/party girl which is an interesting combo. His bff is a gay guy which is unusual for the hero's bf in a m/f story...I liked that. I'd love for them both to get stories. 


No comments: