Monday, September 5, 2016

The Darkest Link by Scarlett Cole

Title: The Darkest Link
Author: Scarlett Cole
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Second Circle Tattoos #4
Main Characters: Lia and Reid
Release Date: August 2016
Publisher: Swerve
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
When her car breaks down off the side of a lonely highway far from her sunny Miami home, tattoo artist Lia never expected her very own white knight to ride up on the back of a barely street-legal motorcycle...and she never expected to fall for her dark savior. After a string of failed relationships and a bruised heart, Lia is not looking for forever, and the hot mechanic, with his sexy scruff and shaggy hair, is simply impossible to resist and the perfect candidate for mind-blowingly-perfect, no-strings-attached one night stand.

Reid left his life in Chicago far behind him and hasn't been back, but he's never been able to escape the guilt he feels about his own painful role in inviting a monster into his baby sister's life. A monster who almost destroyed her. Being with Lia is an unexpected gift, one he doesn't feel he deserves, and their one night together has him wanting more than he should. Especially since she doesn't know the truth about his past. However, when he finds Lia’s bracelet in his bed, he has the perfect excuse to drive down and surprise her at her tattoo studio, Second Circle Tattoos, in Miami. He's in for an even bigger shock - and a fist to the face - when his past and present collide in the humid Miami weather when he runs into the last person he’d ever expect to see in a tattoo studio: Harper, the sister he betrayed, and the last link to his former life.

My Review:
From the first book I've loved this series and this installment of it did not disappoint at all.

If I knew the full extent of Lia's background before this book, I didn't remember it. It was really unexpected. She is an awesome character...a curvy girl who fully embraces her 40's pin-up girl style. I think my favorite part of this book was reading about all her varied looks. (I'd love to be her!) She's also heavily tattooed and one of the tattoo artists at Second Circle. So to find out her father is an extremely conservative senator was quite a surprise...he's also extremely controlling and determined that he's on the way to the White House. He just has to get a firmer grip on Lia and his wife. (Mild spoiler...we hate him in a big way!)

Reid has his own shady background. He's living in Florida now, but it's obvious from the start that although he seems like a great guy, he's running from something that gives him a load of guilt. (Note: I was so shocked...in the best way...when his whole story came out. Wow, I seriously did not see that coming!)

These two are awesome together. Neither is in a place for a relationship and they live 90 minutes apart, but when Lia breaks down, their chemistry is sizzling. (Did I mention I'd love to be her? I love how she accepts her curves and flat out owns her sexuality. She's awesome!)

The book was sexy and fun and there were certainly some unexpected twists and turns. I love the way that Scarlett Cole has managed to take a basic contemporary romance and turn it on its head partway through so that it becomes some amazing romantic suspense. She does it every time and I love that about her writing. 

Note: there's a teaser chapter at the end for her next book. OMG, it's Jordan from Preload (Dred's band) and I am so freaking excited. This is one wounded guy that I just want to wrap up in my arms, so I predict his book will be amazing! I cannot wait!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: