Friday, September 9, 2016

Now That It's You by Tawna Fenske

Title: Now That It's You
Author: Tawna Fenske
My Rating: D

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series:-
Main Characters: Meg and Kyle
Release Date: September 2016
Publisher: Montlake
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Talented chef Meg Delaney hasn’t spoken to her cheating ex-fiancé, Matt Midland, for two years. Ditching him at the altar after blurting out “I can’t” instead of “I do” would sour any relationship. But now, just as Meg is finally ready to bury the hatchet, she learns closure is permanently off the menu. And the kicker? Matt’s brother, Kyle, is back in her life, stirring up feelings that are equal parts guilt and lust.
Meg was the best thing that never happened to Kyle. He couldn’t make a move on his brother’s girlfriend—even if Matt didn’t value her nearly enough. The situation is even more complicated now that Meg’s bestselling aphrodisiac cookbook has spawned a legal battle with the Midlands. Maybe he should stay away. But love, like family, plays by its own rules. And the one woman he shouldn’t want might be the only one who’s perfect for him.
My Review:
Hands down, there is no debating that Tawna Fenske is an amazing writer. From the moment I started reading this book, I did not set it down, although I can't tell you how many times I wanted to throw it across the room. 

While on the surface, the writing and the story and the characters all seem perfectly done, there is one huge flaw with this book. The hero is a jackass... and not in the normal Alpha-hole kind of way. No, Kyle is a jerk in a way that as a reader I just can't forgive. He puts everyone else above the heroine...his mom, his dead brother, himself...and screws over Meg...over and over and over again. 

I could have gotten over that and even the whole secret that he confesses at the end if he had changed his ways at some point there. BUT HE DIDN'T. Nope, he sat there and screwed her to her face at the 85% mark and that pushed me past the edge where I could ever love this book. Because no matter how riveting and emotionally captivating a story is, there has to come a point where the rules of love have to come through for both Hero and heroine...and for me that is loyalty and respect. Kyle thumbed his nose at both those things, and as a reader, I pretty much hate him for it. 

If he'd been written even the slightest bit different this would have been a very different review, because the story is amazingly riveting. But I can't cheer for a book when I was really hoping the heroine would dump the hero on his ass and finally, please stand up for herself. 

Meg is an amazing character who has spent the last 2 years completely shunned by this family (and, yes, including Kyle who was supposed to be her friend) for actions that his brother took. I don't care that everyone is grieving now. That doesn't excuse bullying. She didn't deserve that and she sure as hell doesn't deserve the vitriol and grief thrown at her in this book. I HATED their treatment of her. 

She deserved so much better and Kyle flat out should have stood by her demanding that, too. He didn't. No, he cast stones. 

So, no, nope, no way. 

This book has left me just feeling irritated and annoyed. Two stars is being generous. Ugh. I hate that when it could have so easily been a 5-star read.
I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: