Thursday, September 29, 2016

Crossroads by Riley Hart (audiobook)

Title:  Crossroads
Author: Riley Hart
My Rating: B+
Narrator: Sean Crisden

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m) 
Series: Crossroads #1
Main Characters: Nick and Bryce
Release Date: November 2016 (audiobook)
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
7 hrs 23 mins

After divorcing the woman he’d been with since he was seventeen, Nick Fuller is starting over. He owns the restaurant of his dreams and he’s determined to meet new people, find new passions, and experience life to its fullest. Easier said than done—that is until he meets his new neighbor, Bryce Tanner…

Bryce is all about a good time. He plans to show Nick how it’s done, help him meet a few women, and enjoy the gift of the single life he’s been given. But things don’t go as planned, and soon they realize they’d rather be together than with anyone else.

Neither man has ever wanted another guy, but there’s a connection between them from the start—a spark they can’t deny. They find themselves navigating an unfamiliar new world and dealing with unforeseen obstacles. Physical desire isn’t enough, and now Nick and Bryce are at a crossroads. They have to decide which way to go—the easy path they’ve always followed, or the one that's determined to trip them up at every turn.
 

My Review:
Overall: 4.0
Performance: 3.25
Story: 4.25

This was a really interesting story just in that neither of these guys have ever considered other men as love interests before. I like straight guys turning and gay for you stories, but this one had the different twist in that neither guy was gay before they met the other. I'll admit I liked it in this particular story, but I'm not sure another author would be able to pull that off. But Riley Hart did it beautifully. And the way she did that was by building the friendship and bond between the two guys very slowly....that worked. 

I also thought the author did an amazing job showing the difficulty of this kind of sudden switch for two straight men very realistically. They have no idea what they are doing sexually and I liked that she made sure that wasn't smooth sailing for them. Also, their families are shocked by the changes in the men and not exactly open to all those changes. I loved the realism of that.

But beyond all that is just the relationship between the two men. I liked them and the extremely upfront way they handled this change in sexuality. They're guys...they don't keep much inside, even when it's uncomfortable. And the two guys are very different. Nick is a chef who has only been with one person...his ex-wife who he met in high school. She was always it for him. Bryce builds motorcycles and has never really had a serious relationship except for with his bff. They became romantically involved after Bryce almost died, but I think that was more a reaction to that scare more than anything. Bryce is up for anything. Nick is much more cautious about things, but at their hearts...they're guys. Everything is more upfront and honest with guys especially when it comes to sex. 

I love audiobooks and wouldn't have read this book when I did without the audio version of the book, but I had one real beef with this narrator...I could not stand his women's voices. I'm dying to read the rest of the series and would love to listen to them on audio, too, but am just not sure I can handle the books if there is much in the way of females in the stories. Yes, it was just that grating to me. I thought he did a great job with the guys, but gah...the female voices ruined the audio for me.

But I do plan to read the the next books in the series. I just have to find time to slide them into my reading schedule. 


No comments: