Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Shut Up and Kiss Me by Marina Adair


Title: Shut Up and Kiss Me
Author: Marina Adair
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Destiny Bay #1
Main Characters: Kennedy and Luke
Release Date: August 2016
Publisher: Forever
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
He's one bad apple she just can't resist . . .

Kennedy Sinclair never dreamed she'd own a pie shop and an orchard in a small town like Destiny Bay. But nestled between the mountains and the Pacific Ocean, it's the perfect place to cross something off her "Life's short so eat the icing first" list and start her life over from scratch. Her shop, Sweetie Pies, is famous for its hot, flaky apple turnovers and sinfully delicious deep dish pie. For Kennedy though, nothing is more enticing than the tall, strapping slice of temptation who keeps coming back for more.


Luke Callahan is determined to make his hard cider business a success. With his beloved father's cider recipe and the opportunity of a lifetime in his grasp, he'll stop at nothing to get this deal done. There's just one catch: he needs Kennedy's apples. At first, he thinks it'll be as easy as pie to charm those apples right off her trees. But Kennedy isn't falling for his tender charms or his wicked ways. When the negotiations start heating up, so do the feelings they have for each other. And it takes just one kiss to seal the deal . . .

My Review:
I was excited when I saw that Marina Adair was coming out with a new series. This wasn't quite what I was expecting though, and I really can't pinpoint what the difference is. 

This book is very much a small town romance and everything that entails...there are the elderly busybodies...who Kennedy just has to deal with everyday. (I REALLY did NOT like Fi's character...at all. Her character was a bit too extreme for me.) 

Kennedy is the broken character in the book who had the extremely difficult childhood. Over and over she was the one left. At the start of this book it is her fiance who's screwing her over...with another woman. So she leaves and starts over again in Destiny Bay. I think my main issue with the book (and it wasn't a huge one...don't get me wrong...I definitely enjoyed reading the book) is that Kennedy is just too easy. She has all this history and ongoing relationship scars, and while they are on the page, she never seems to really be brought down by that. She doesn't have a black moment where she's ready to give it all up because nothing is going her way. She has a sad moment, but...and I guess this is where I get the small town feeling from this book...it didn't feel deep enough. It was almost all glossed over. It made me feel a little less emotionally satisfied than if she had left (or done something else just as drastic) at least temporarily until she was able to convince herself to bounce back again, rather than just immediately working through her sadness.

Luke has his scars too. He wasn't home helping when his father died and he has guilt because he chose his career over his family. But again, the emotions involved with this (to me) felt like they should have gone deeper...been more. 

Honestly, if this had been another author I'd never read before I probably would have been okay with how light the book felt emotionally compared to the emotional scars present, because some authors just write more light-hearted stuff. But I've read some really deeply written books by Marina Adair, so I kind of expected more. 

And having written all that, I feel like this is a really negative review for a book that I honestly enjoyed. I'm just disappointed because the set-up was so that there could have been so much more. I'm not disappointed by what was written. I'm disappointed by the possibilities that were missed for a deeply emotional book. 

BUT that won't stop me from grabbing Hawk and Ali's book which comes out in this series next. OMG, I loved both their characters and cannot wait for their stories. And that's the whole subjective thing about this, too, because as a person, I just related to both their characters more than I did Luke and Kennedy. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: