Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Curious Minds by Janet Evanovich and Phoef Sutton

Title: Curious Minds
Author: Janet Evanovich and Phoef Sutton
My Rating: B-

Genre:  Humor/Romantic Comedy
Series: Knight and Moon #1
Main Characters: Emerson and Riley
Release Date: August 2016
Publisher: Bantam Dell
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: g-rated


Janet Evanovich, #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Stephanie Plum series, teams up with Emmy-winning writer Phoef Sutton for a brand-new series of thrillers featuring the invincible and incompatible pairing of Knight and Moon.

Emerson Knight is introverted, eccentric, and has little to no sense of social etiquette. Good thing he’s also brilliant, rich, and (some people might say) handsome, or he’d probably be homeless. Riley Moon has just graduated from Harvard Business and Harvard Law. Her aggressive Texas spitfire attitude has helped her land her dream job as a junior analyst with mega-bank Blane-Grunwald. At least Riley Moon thought it was her dream job, until she is given her first assignment: babysitting Emerson Knight.

What starts off as an inquiry about missing bank funds in the Knight account leads to inquiries about a missing man, missing gold, and a life-and-death race across the country. Through the streets of Washington, D.C., and down into the underground vault of the Federal Reserve in New York City, an evil plan is exposed. A plan so sinister that only a megalomaniac could think it up, and only the unlikely duo of the irrepressibly charming Emerson Knight and the tenacious Riley Moon can stop it.

My Review:

I think this is one of those books that if you go into it knowing what to expect than you will really enjoy it. If not, I think you're liable to be disappointed. This book is straight up humor. It reads like something that's meant to go straight to TV or movies, because these characters are caricatures of human nature. It's NOT realistic...at all. It's meant to be fun and funny and comes across as fairly slapstick because of that.

The whole premise is that Emerson is an eccentric billionaire who wants to see his gold. Riley works for the bank where his gold is held. She's tasked for "handling" him which then turns into this huge, over-the-top search for what's happening to all the gold. 

I really enjoyed Emerson and Riley. I thought they were fun and I would seriously watch this as a TV series for the two of them. It was the rest of the cast of characters in this book that got to be too much for me. I think that if Emerson and Riley were the only bumbling characters the book would have worked for me on a more intellectual level. Instead there are scenes with real danger and deaths happening, but it's all done so farcically that it's hard to take any of it serious. 

The bad guys are known pretty much from the get go, but honestly think the book would have been stronger without the scenes from their point of view. Those scenes were confusing because in the ebook version of the book there was simply an extra space added when the pov would change, but it was never clear if it was just a scene change or a huge pov change to one of the bad guys. I almost always had to read several of these paragraphs twice as it became apparent that the characters were discussing the bad guys and then bam...we were in the bad guys pov. It was really awkward to read. 

So, somewhat a mixed review. Note: this book took me a week to read. Yes, the Olympics have been on, but that also says something about the book because, yes, I have read on it every single day during that time. For me, it just didn't wrap me up into the story like I would have liked. While I would watch a TV show based on the books, I don't think I will read anymore of the series.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: