Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Burn Down the Night by M. O'Keefe

Title: Burn Down the Night 
Author: M. O'Keefe
My Rating: B

Genre:  Erotic Romance
Series: Everything I Left Unsaid #3
Main Characters: Max and Joan
Release Date: August 2016
Publisher: Loveswept
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:
The only thing that matters to me is rescuing my sister from the drug-cooking cult that once enslaved us both. I’ve run cons my whole life, and I’ll use my body to get whatever I need. Max Daniels is the last connection I have to that world, the one person reckless enough to get involved. Besides, now that his brothers have turned on him, he needs me too.

The deal was supposed to be simple: a place to hide in exchange for rescuing my sister. Now he’s my prisoner. Totally at my mercy. But I’m the one captivated. Enthralled. Doing everything he asks of me until I’m not sure who’s in control.

We both crave the heat. The more it hurts, the better. But what if Max wants a different life now, to leave the game . . . to love me? I thought I knew better than to get burned. Now I’m in too deep to pull away. And the crazy thing is . . . I don’t want to.

My Review:
I've been fascinated by both the characters of Max and Joan in the other books, so I was anxious to read this book. It was a very fascinating read. Both Joan and Max have had extremely hard, closed-off lives. As a result, they DO NOT trust or open up. But yet, the circumstances put them in a position where they have to *somewhat* trust one another. 

This story starts off with a bang, literally. It crosses over the events in other books, but it's been so long since I read them, that I forgot the details (which I think served me well in this particular instance). I like that there then is a change of location for our two main characters from the trailer park and strip club (and Dylan's mountain) that we've known so well in the other books. Although I sure wouldn't have predicted where they ended up. There were some unexpected smiles at the other residents in their new 'home'. I also really liked Joan's aunt and Eric. 

Okay, now let's talk about Joan and Max for a moment. Joan is crazy nuts...but I think she got there honestly. She's had a really hard, stressful life and I honestly just think that she's reached her breaking point. That just happened to have at the same time Max got shot by the boys from his motorcycle club...so he got kind of caught up in her crazy. I like that they've been circling one another at the strip club for months, but both knew that there wasn't anything they could do about that incredible chemistry. Then...they run off together and things get even more steamy between the two of them. 

At times this book really worked for me...i.e. that amazing chemistry between Max and Joan. I love how connected they are by their brokenness. And even though they have this incredible chemistry, neither one really wants to act on it because they realize it will change everything...and that's going to be so painful in the end. I love that kind of drawn-out angst. 

But on the other hand, that was really about the only thing going for the story. There is *somewhat* a sense of danger lurking, but honestly the character's actions determine whether or not that danger becomes real. They are a long ways from home and any threat. As a result, throughout a lot of the story it just kind of felt like it was spinning in a stall of sexual chemistry and nothing more. I get that that time allowed the relationship between Max and Joan to grow, but it made it a little unsatisfactory for me as the reader. I wanted more real action...not that I usually have a problem with the hot sex. It just seemed like there should be something a little bit more in there too. 

But overall, it was a good read. Warning: these books are dark and gritty. These are not happy-go-lucky heroes and heroines. These are gritty characters barely holding onto their lives by the skin of their teeth. There's a dark feeling to the stories because of that. This isn't the type of story that leaves you with a smile on your face...although, with that being said, I did really like the epilogue. It was good to end with a happy...if you ignore that tiny set-up/drama that seemed to be a bit of foreshadowing for the next book.
I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: