Saturday, July 30, 2016

How to Be a Normal Person by T.J. Klune (audiobook)

Title: How To Be a Normal Person
Author: TJ Klune
My Rating: A
Narrator: Derrick McClain

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: -
Main Characters: Gus and Casey
Release Date: April 2016 (audiobook)
Publisher: Audible/Dreamspinner
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: g-rated

Story Overview:
Length: 11 hrs and 7 mins 

Gustavo Tiberius is not normal. He knows this. Everyone in his small town of Abby, Oregon, knows this. He reads encyclopedias every night before bed. He has a pet ferret called Harry S. Truman. He owns a video rental store that no one goes to. His closest friends are a lady named Lottie with drag queen hair and a trio of elderly Vespa riders known as the We Three Queens.

Gus is not normal. And he's fine with that. All he wants is to be left alone.

Until Casey, an asexual stoner hipster and the newest employee at Lottie’s Lattes, enters his life. For some reason, Casey thinks Gus is the greatest thing ever. And maybe Gus is starting to think the same thing about Casey, even if Casey is obsessive about Instagramming his food.

But Gus isn’t normal and Casey deserves someone who can be. Suddenly wanting to be that someone, Gus steps out of his comfort zone and plans to become the most normal person ever.

After all, what could possibly go wrong?


My Review:
Overall: 4.5
Performance: 5.0

Story: 4.5

This story was epic in just how fun and funny it was. I can't imagine reading it could be near as much fun as listening to it, because the narrator was amazing. His inflections for Gus and Casey were absolute perfection. Through his voices, he managed Gus's disdain, Casey's stoned cluelessness, and the We Three Queens astounded and confounded comments perfectly. I LOVED listening to this book. 

And, wow, I don't honestly know what else I can say about this book. I can pretty much guarantee that it's like nothing you have ever read before (TJ Klune's brain is a bizarre, but fabulous place). There are moments when it's twisted. There are moments when it's sweet. And there are moments when it's heartbreaking...Gus's remembered moments with his father slayed me. I can't imagine what an incredible man he was to raise Gus to be completely okay with being this VERY off-the-wall character. 

And yeah, Gus has his moments of self-doubt...thus the online "Normal" lessons. 
Oh. My. God. 
The things that came up in the narration of these lessons literally kept me laughing out loud and rolling with laughter. 

It's a fabulous, feel good book about two men who learn to love one another despite and because of their differences. I'm so glad that I listened to it. I HIGHLY recommend it!!

No comments: