Friday, July 15, 2016

Cream of the Crop by Alice Clayton

Title: Cream of the Crop
Author: Alice Clayton
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Hudson Valley #2
Main Characters: Natalie and Oscar
Release Date: July 2016
Publisher: Gallery
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Alice Clayton brings her trademark blend of funny and sexy to this second contemporary romance in the brand-new Hudson Valley series!

Manhattan’s It Girl, Natalie Grayson, has it all: she’s a hot exec at a leading advertising firm, known industry-wide for her challenging and edgy campaigns. She’s got a large circle of friends, a family that loves her dearly, and her dance card is always full with handsome eligible bachelors. What else could a modern gal-about-town wish for? The answer, of course, is...cheese.

Natalie’s favorite part of each week is spending Saturday morning at the Union Square Farmer’s Market, where she indulges her love of all things triple cream. Her favorite booth also indulges her love of all things handsome. Oscar Mendoza, owner of the Bailey Falls Creamery and purveyor of the finest artisanal cheeses the Hudson Valley has to offer, is tall, dark, mysterious, and a bit oblivious. Or so she thinks. But that doesn’t stop Natalie from fantasizing about the size of his, ahem, milk can.

Romance is churning, passion is burning, and something incredible is rising to the top. Could it be...love?

My Review:
The best thing about this book...I loved how completely confident that Natalie was in who she was. I loved her with her completely put together look and sexy, self-confident vibe she has even though she's a size 18. 

There were a few other things about this book that didn't quite work as well for me. I hated that Oscar was deliberately obtuse about his ex-wife. I wanted more from him in that story line...even a simple 'I'm sorry' for abandoning her at the party to chase after his ex because she was upset. I'm sorry...BUT that doesn't work for me when he put the ex first at that point in their relationship. In fact, I pretty much lost all my love for Oscar at that point. And I hate that, because up to that point I was really enjoying them and the story. 

I liked that Oscar and Natalie are such opposites. She is such a city girl. It was cute watching her try to adjust. I love how much he adores her curves. His nickname for her, Pinup, was adorable. I loved how much Natalie truly loves and is completely unapologetic about her love for food. I love how outspoken Natalie is...especially when it comes to sexy guys. I loved the little bit of background humor Polly added every time she was in a scene. And everything about Chad and his story line warmed my heart. 

But, but, but...I'm not quite satisfied with the way everything turned out (see second paragraph above) and that seriously affected my overall feelings about this book. I wanted to completely fall for Oscar...and I just...didn't. *sad face* But that's okay, I still enjoyed the book for the most part and I'm still a HUGE Alice Clayton fan. This one just didn't quite hit it out of the ballpark for me. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: