Thursday, June 23, 2016

On the Brink by Kate Willoughby

Title: On the Brink
Author: Kate Willoughby
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: in the Zone #0
Main Characters: Hart and Jeremy
Release Date: June 2016
Publisher: -
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
Due to popular demand, Kate Willoughby brings you Hart Griffin and Jeremy Fenton's origin story. Find out how these two met and fell in love... 

Holtzer University junior Hart Griffin won't let anything interfere with his future as a professional hockey player. No way, no how. He's the star forward of his college team and a first round NHL draft pick.


One hot night with a male super fan calls into question everything Hart thought he knew about his sexuality and launches him on a soul-searching journey in which nothing is as it seems and his entire world is turned upside down.
My Review:
This story was just pure, romantic fun. Jeremy is out and proud. Hart is not. In fact, even if he can face up to the fact that he *might* be gay, if he wants to have an NHL contract, he needs to stay in the closet. But after one sexy hook-up that can never happen again, these guys became friends, and I fell in love with both of them just a whole bunch more. 

I loved that they were friends...and just how well they get along with one another in every regard not just sexually. I love how brave Jeremy is in the face of homophobia that can and does get him hurt. This is s short novella. It's quick and easy to read. I'll be honest, I read so much, I don't really remember these characters from the In the Zone books, so that HFN ending was a bit hard. 

This is a story that takes place in 2003 when the guys are in college. The other books in the series take place now, so obviously they do have an HEA. I just can't remember the details of it and it makes me want to go back and reread the books they are side characters in.

For a short novella there is lots happening in the background...homophobia, equality education, hockey, roommate issues, apartment issues. Because there was so much, these things were just skimmed. This book could have easily been developed into a full-length novel just with what was already on the page...just expanded. But I did like it. It's a good read and on an evening when I couldn't handle anything deeper or longer, it was perfect. 

I enjoyed this little glimpse into Hart and Jeremy's before.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: