Tuesday, June 21, 2016

A Measure of Love by Sophie Jackson

Title: A Measure of Love
Author: Sophie Jackson
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: A Pound of Flesh #3
Main Characters: Riley and Lexie
Release Date: June 2016
Publisher: Gallery
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
From award-winning fanfic phenomenon Sophie Jackson, the third novel in the sexy and emotionally intense blockbuster A Pound of Flesh series.

Life in New York for ex-con Riley Moore is pretty damn good, until a call from his mother shatters the calm: his father has suffered his second heart attack in two years and is in a critical condition. Leaving everything behind, Riley flies home to Michigan for the first time in five years to support his mother and do his best to make amends with his father. He also tries not to think about Lexie Pierce, the only girl he ever truly cared about, and who broke his heart.

When they inevitably meet, memories of their love make Riley yearn to reconnect, despite the pain they both suffered. Though she's wary, and has a secret she’s hidden from him for five years, Lexie has little willpower when it comes to Riley and she agrees. Besides, after all that has gone before, she owes it to both of them to find out if they can love each other again.

Can they both overcome their sorrow and secrets and finally share their life together?

A powerful new voice in modern romance, Sophie Jackson has crafted a passionate love story with unforgettable characters that will stay with you long after you’ve turned the last page.

My Review:
I think...I'm not sure because I'd have to go back and read my other reviews for this series...but I think this was actually my favorite book from this series. I loved it so much, but then I adore second chance at love stories. Also, I think this book read more along the lines of mainstream contemporary romance than the first two in the series did. (Not that I haven't loved all the books in the series, because I absolutely have...this one just felt more mainstream.)

But this story is about Riley. He was in jail with Carter (hero from book #1) and is a partner in a garage with Max (hero from book #2), but while all their stories take place in NYC, his story mainly takes place in a small town in Michigan where he grew up. See, Riley has a secret love that's only been hinted at in the other books...and that's Lexie...who broke and shattered his heart. He was in love with her from the moment he met her when she moved into their neighborhood when RIley was 8. From that moment on, they were inseparable...until Riley went to college at NYU. That adjustment was hard enough on Lexie, but then her father who was the center of her world suddenly died, and Lexie lost it. She sunk into a deep depression and the biggest casualty of her unstable emotional state was her relationship with Riley. She dumped him.

Riley never recovered. We've known Riley from the very start of the series as a HUGE man-whore, but suddenly, that all made sense as this book started to unfold his story with Lexie. 

While I hated Lexie's action over the course of time, I adored their story and understood how depression messed with her ability to make smart decisions for her and for Riley. This was one of those stories that was filled with little details that made a good romance simply outstanding...from Noah to Riley's rocky relationship with his father. I loved every single scene that included Riley's brothers and am really, really hoping that Sophie Jackson is setting this up so that she can tell their stories...those guys are awesome. I also loved Lexie's jewelry store and the amazing idea of her post-it wall. What an amazing, positive thing to do. 

I really just loved the book. I thought the romance was spot-on and loved how the two have been so hurt, but they know the one place they connect is sexually, so they take that completely off the table to make sure they can make a real relationship work first. That was awesome. I loved the small-town setting and the backdrop it provided for the story. It all just really worked for me. 

I highly recommend this book and the entire series. You can easily read any of the books in the series as stand-alones, but I HIGHLY recommend you read them all. They are excellent contemporary romance and I'm thrilled to have them on my keeper shelf.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: