Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Wicked Love by Michelle A. Valentine

Title: Wicked Love
Author: Michelle A. Valentine
My Rating: C-

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Wicked White #3
Main Characters: Tyler and Avery
Release Date: May 2016
Publisher: Montlake
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
All Tyler Mercer wanted was to make music—until he met Avery Jenson. The beautiful new girl in town turned his head and struck a chord in his heart. But when their one night of passion results in devastating tragedy, Tyler hits the road, leaving behind his dead-end hometown and the girl he knows he’ll never forget.

After her father was caught embezzling, Avery’s comfortable life in the city was blown to bits. But meeting Tyler helped to pick up the pieces and eased her into country living. She just never expected the handsome musician would add to her heartbreak by walking away without a backward glance.

Now, three years later, rock star Tyler’s come back, hat in hand. He’s found fame and fortune as a member of Wicked White, but it’s all worth nothing without Avery’s love. Can she forgive him for leaving when she needed him most? Or will the ghost of their past keep them apart?

My Review:
This book REALLY did not work for me. And honestly, I'm debating between giving it 2-3 stars, which is huge because I just don't give 2 star reviews to books that I'm actually able to finish reading. But very little about this book worked for me. So, now the debate is how to write a review that gives a possible reader information about whether they want to try it or not. 

Something to know going into this book, especially if you've been reading the series. The first 60% of the book takes place in the past...three years before the series. That was so confusing to me because Tyler isn't a member of Wicked White and that first 60% reads a lot like a YA novel. At one point, I honestly stopped reading to look up the book and make sure it was part of the series that I remember, because there's nothing at the beginning to tell you that this is the past. First...*grrr*

The other really major flaw is that most this book is written VERY passively. I don't understand how this book made it through editing. So much of the action takes place off the page. That creates a separation for the reader and for me made it impossible for me to connect on an emotional level with these two characters. I simply didn't care about them. Add to that...their actions are extremely immature (note the YA feeling from before). By the 75% point, I found myself skimming the book, just wanting it to be over. 

And then there's the end...which was just bizarre. Events happened that made me question WTF? There was drama at the end that was completely unnecessary. BUT there was also drama at the end which should have totally been there, but was nonexistent. Everybody was happy, happy/love, love when there were serious lies told and abandonment issues from both characters. And they were completely okay with it? I don't think so.

I honestly don't get it. I've read several other books from this author that were fantastic. This is definitely not her normal quality of work. As a writer who has struggled through problem books, reading this one hurt because I have a feeling it wasn't easy for her to write and unfortunately that shows. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: