Saturday, May 28, 2016

Double Dare by R.L. Mathewson (audiobook)


Title: Double Dare
Author: R.L. Mathewson
My Rating: B-
Narrator: Fran Jules

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Neighbor From Hell #6
Main Characters: Darrin and Marybeth
Release Date: 2016 (audiobook)
Publisher: Audible
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Marybeth still couldn’t believe that she’d survived this long with a friend like Darrin, but somehow she’d managed to beat the odds and not give in to temptation and smother him with a pillow while he slept.

Of course some days were more difficult than others…

For twenty years he’s been biding his time, waiting for the right moment to make his move and now that it was here…
He couldn’t seem to stop screwing up. 

Author’s Note:

Every NFH novel is written so that it can be enjoyed as a stand-alone book with the exception of this one. When I started writing Double Dare it wasn’t meant to coincide with The Game Plan, but it does. So, if you haven’t read The Game Plan, you may want to wait until after you do so that you can fully enjoy this book.
My Review:
Overall: 3.25
Performance: 4.25
Story: 2.5

This is a hard one to rate. I started out listening to the audiobook and was enjoying it, but I didn't have time to meander through the rest of the story when I could read it so much faster, so I opened the book on my kindle. I did NOT enjoy reading it. It was difficult to follow and a LOT of the story was a repeat from The Game Plan, because the stories take place at the same time. I'll be honest, I skimmed the rest of the book, feeling less and less happy with it. BUT I've listened to all the other books on audio so assumed that was my issue. As a result, I didn't write this review until I had time to finish listening to the audiobook. And while I did like it better in audio (Fran Jules uses different voices to help keep everything straight and when reading the book rather than listening to it, all those details get jumbled because there aren't enough dialogue tags and emotional motivation behind the actions), this book still was a little bit underwhelming. 

So now I'll do a quickie review of the story....MaryBeth and Darrin have been friends with benefits for years. He's in love with her and plans to marry her. MaryBeth thinks differently.  While I could understand her motivation, I had to agree with Darrin...she never really believed it either or else she wouldn't have done it for so long. 

There were a lot of things to love about the story. I loved that Darrin is a twin and how much his brothers Aiden and Reese played into the story. I also really liked how close MaryBeth and Jake are as brother and sister. The whole story with Darrin's mom thinking that both he and Reese are gay was brilliantly funny, especially knowing the cousins responsible. 

I also really thought there were some amazingly sweet moments between Darrin and MaryBeth. He was a great character. I just hated her choices in the story, because they felt a little off.

And like I said, there were some real problems with the writing that made the book difficult to read. If you want to read this one, I'd definitely recommend the audio file over reading it. 

No comments: