Thursday, April 21, 2016

That Thing Between Eli and Gwen by J.J. McAvoy

Title: That Thing Between Eli and Gwen
Author: J.J. McAvoy
My Rating: A+

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: -
Main Characters: Eli and Gwen
Release Date: April 2016
Publisher: NYLA
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
**A multicultural new adult romance from bestselling author, J.J. McAvoy**

Eli Davenport thinks he’s found the perfect woman to be his wife. She’s a doctor, like he is. She’s brilliant, like he is. And she’s wealthy, like he is. 

Guinevere 'Gwen' Poe thinks her fiancé is the perfect man. He’s handsome, successful and he was her first… 

But when Eli’s bride runs off with Gwen’s fiancée on his wedding day, they are left to pick up the broken pieces of each other...

My Review:

This book absolutely WILL MAKE my TOP TEN reads for the year. It was so, so good. I know that I'll never do this book justice in this review, but I'm sure going to try. 

At the beginning of this book, both Eli and Gwen are supposed to get married...but not to one another. No, Gwen is with her fiancé and they were attending Eli's wedding. The problem...Gwen's fiancé stopped the wedding because he was in love with Eli's bride. O.O

Yeah, that's where the story begins. The thing is...both Eli and Gwen are devastated, heartbroken, and not dealing with it well. They both are successful people who live in NYC. Eli is a neurosurgeon. Gwen is an artist. They are both millionaires. And they continue to run into one another. Not cool. They hate each other...both because they recognize one another's pain and seeing the other person is simply a reminder of all that they've lost. He calls her the Con Artist (his mom bought one of her paintings for $2 million) and she calls him Dr. Asshole. They really, really don't get along. 

But then somehow in this huge city of millions they end up living next door to one another...and slowly a friendship develops. This is the best kind of love story. It's a slow build that is just so perfect because they are so good for one another. They just don't see it at one another. Despite the pain and heartbreak, they are helping one another heal and it's incredible to see the strong relationship that develops from that. I adored this book so, so much. 

I loved both these characters and the author did an amazing job of showing their pain without ever making the book depressing. There is a TON of heartbreak in this story (I cried several times), but at the heart of it are these two characters just trying to survive. It's a gorgeous story and I absolutely fell in love with them, cheering when things went well and crying when things went bad. There is so much fun about the dichotomy between the two it made this one of the best books I've ever read. 

I've only read one other J.J. McAvoy book and it also made my Top Ten list (Black Rainbow in 2015). I think it's time for me to sit down and devour everything she's ever written. She just officially made my auto-buy author list. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review, but I also bought a copy and fully plan to buy a print copy because it was just that good. You need to buy it, too. 

No comments: