Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Return of the Bad Boy by Jessica Lemmon

Title: Return of the Bad Boy 
Author: Jessica Lemmon
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Second Chance #4
Main Characters: Asher and Gloria
Release Date: April 2016
Publisher: Forever
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: hot...pushing close to erotic

Story Overview:
He's a mess...

Asher Knight has three constants in his life: music, beautiful women, and a bottle of Jack. He lives for the next gig, the next city, and dreams only of a life spent in front of an arena full of screaming fans. But Asher's nomad ways come to a sudden stop when he learns he's the father of a three-year-old from a past relationship and suddenly this rock star bad boy is forced to put down roots.

Only she can clean up

Gloria Shields is no one's fool. Sure, the sexual chemistry between her and Asher has always been intense, but she'd never risk giving her heart to a man who has a perfect record for breaking them. Except the man desperate to make things right with his newfound son is nothing like the rock god she's guarded her heart against for years. And it isn't long before she starts to wonder if life with this bad boy might be the best thing that's ever happened to her.


My Review:
Okay, I'll admit it...I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but this wasn't my favorite book in the series and it's hard to pinpoint exactly why. Honestly, I think I just never really connected with Gloria, but that's the nature of her character. She's prickly and withdrawn and doesn't like to connect with anyone. And she stays that way almost throughout the entire book. She has her moments, but every time she moves forward a step in letting someone in, she steps back about ten more within 12 hours...all the way through the end. As a reader, I just needed...more. She flip-flopped so many times, it was hard to believe that she and Asher will make it for the long-haul. :( I don't like that feeling.

But I did enjoy reading the book and I LOVED Asher. He's trying so hard...to be everything he can be for his son, Hawk...to convince Glo that they are worth the emotional risk...to take care of things for the band (i.e. writing the music for the next album). BUT it's ALL an uphill battle for him. 

Needless to say there is a lot of drama in this book. There's a lot of drinking used as stress relief (hey, they live in a rock and roll world). And there is a lot of baby-mama-drama because the baby mama is an immature groupie who shouldn't really be allowed to procreate until she grows up a LOT. There is also a whole heck of a lot of sex in this book. Asher is used to banging groupies every night. He likes to use his nine inches (yeah, I could have used a few less references to this) as often as possible. But I think the drama between the two would have lessened if they had used their words more often to solve their problems rather than their hormones....but again, that's probably just me. 

Like I said, this wasn't my favorite, but I loved it as a finale for the series. The scenes with the group were incredible. I adored the epilogue and all the weddings. I've enjoyed this entire series. While this wasn't my favorite, I'd still recommend it because it was an enjoyable read especially after having read the other three books. I loved these bad boys and they had a fitting end to their penis bandit days/reputation, too, that had me laughing out loud.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: