Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Catching Summer by L.P. Dover

Title: Catching Summer
Author: L.P. Dover
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Second Chances #6
Main Characters: Summer and Evan
Release Date: April 2016
Publisher: Loveswept
Links to Purchase
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Falling for someone can be dangerous, especially when someone wants to take them away from you. But what happens when fighting for the one you love could cost them their life? 

For over two years, Summer Jacobs has tried to get her life back on track. A former nurse and now a prestigious restaurant owner, she’s living the dream just like her husband wanted. After watching him get killed in the MMA ring and almost losing her life herself, it left a scar on her soul. The thought of moving on scares her, but the local NFL star, Evan Townsend, is determined to catch her heart. 

Forced to work with him and the football team, Summer succumbs to his relentless attempts at capturing her heart. He has the power to heal her, but there’s someone out there who wants to keep them apart. Even if it means getting rid of Evan permanently. Summer is being chased by hidden dangers and it’s up to Evan to catch her. The question is . . . will he get to her in time?
My Review:
Hmm, this is a hard one for me to review just because the book felt really inconsistent in its quality. I loved the really emotional backstory for Summer. There was lots of angst there that I kept wanting to know more about. 

Confession: I haven't read any of the other books in this series, so the answers to some of my questions about what exactly happened may have been answered in those. But while I liked the emotion that Summer's history with Austin provided, there were a lot of detail inconsistencies that I couldn't figure out. At one point it was stated that Summer was in the hospital after her beating from the attack. But other times, it sounded like she just had bruises from where she was held down. When the story began it sounded like she was also raped...just with the references (that was never stated in the text). I never could figure out exactly what happened to her while Austin was being beaten to death...and that did bother me. 

But that's all backstory regardless of something that happened 2 years before the book takes place. Summer is best friends with Kate, Evan's sister, so she's known him for a while. He's had a crush on her for a while and has just been biding his time waiting for the right time for where Summer is emotionally. Overall, I enjoyed their romance. I liked them both as characters and I thought they worked well together...and that fact is what keeps this book at a 4 star level rating...because I don't think I liked anything else about the book. 

Evan is an NFL football player and there were so many things about the attitudes and maturity level of the team members that just made no sense to me. The constant partying and getting REALLY drunk before a game night...yeah, I don't think so...not for a professional athlete that wants to keep his job more than a season. The trash talk and antics  of the players was really immature all the way around...some of his team members and opposing teams. Now if this was a high school football team, I could buy it, but not for the NFL. Also, the team goes to away games AS A TEAM. There is no traveling with girlfriends in their own private cars and showing up the day of the game. (Note...my son worked for an NFL team this last season, so I know this for a fact and it's pretty well documented with team photos on social sites how teams travel so it's not hard to find that information.)

There is a bit of a suspense line that I had figured out pretty early in the story. So a bit of a mixed review. Like I said, I really enjoyed both Evan and Summer's characters and I liked their romance. The book kept me engaged and I never once considered putting it aside (which I will do if those little details bug me too much). So while it wasn't my most favorite book ever, I would definitely read the author again and give her another try.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: