Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The Visitor by Amanda Stevens

Title: The Visitor
Author: Amanda Stevens
My Rating: A

Genre: Horror and Romantic Suspense
Series: Graveyard Series #4
Main Characters: Amelia and
Release Date: March 2016
Publisher: Mira
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild


Story Overview:
My name is Amelia Gray. I'm the Graveyard Queen. 

Restoring lost and abandoned cemeteries is my profession, but I'm starting to believe that my true calling is deciphering the riddles of the dead. Legend has it that Kroll Cemetery is a puzzle no one has ever been able to solve. For over half a century, the answer has remained hidden within the strange headstone inscriptions and intricate engravings. Because uncovering the mystery of that tiny, remote graveyard may come at a terrible price. 

Years after their mass death, Ezra Kroll's disciples lie unquiet, their tormented souls trapped within the walls of Kroll Cemetery, waiting to be released by someone strong and clever enough to solve the puzzle. For whatever reason, I'm being summoned to that graveyard by both the living and the dead. Every lead I follow, every clue I unravel brings me closer to an unlikely killer and to a destiny that will threaten my sanity and a future with my love, John Devlin.


My Review:
Whoa, this book left me with chills and jumping at innocuous sounds in my house and outside. It was incredibly creepy and absolutely wonderful for it. (And I probably should note right now that I am NOT a fan of horror regularly, but this one really worked for me.)

In this story, Amelia is looking at restoring a new old cemetery...one that has a bizarre background. It's a private cemetery that holds the bodies of 37 people from a commune that participated in a mass murder/suicide (the details of what exactly happened are fairly sketchy.) The whole mystery of Amelia's family background also plays HUGELY into this story because she's seeing a ghost of...herself. Throw in conjoined twins, cicada husks, and keys showing up in strange places as well as historic stereoscope photos that hold the clues and it's truly a fantastic horror story that seriously gave me the creeps over and over again. 

And there's Devlin and he has a story unfolding in this book, too. I'm not sure how I feel about what's happening with him. I can see where it's going and I want to both cry and am excited because it's going to create some incredible conflict for Amelia. 

I have been a fan of this series all along, but I was a bit disappointed with the last book because I wanted more Devlin. Wow, Amanda Stevens up'ed both her romantic and horror game in this one. This book was so much MORE and I loved it. Seriously, I read the very first book in this series as part of an online book club and we've all kept up on the series since then. During reading this, I kept messaging the group just to let them all know how much they are going to love this book. There was a very long wait between this one and the last one that was out (#3), but it was so worth the wait. Amanda Stevens has a bizarre and incredible imagination and I'm so excited that we get to benefit from that with this fantastically entertaining (and, yes, so, so creepy) book. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: