Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Incubus Job by Diana Pharaoh Francis

Title: The Incubus Job
Author: Diana Pharaoh Francis
My Rating: A

Genre: Paranormal Romance 
Series: Mission: Magic #1
Main Characters: Mallory and Law
Release Date: March 2016
Publisher: -
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
It’s tough to have a conscience when you kill for a living.

So six years ago, Mallory Jade gave up killing. Now she’s a fixer. Got a problem with a demon? She can help. Infestation of pixies? She’s got you covered. Kidnapped by an undead lich? She’s on her way. Anything you need, so long as she doesn’t have to kill. It’s her one unbreakable rule.

Aside from a few near-death experiences, her new life is good, until her job dumps her in the lap of the man she walked out on six years before. Law Stanger, her former partner and lover, wants her back in his life. He’s not above playing dirty. But Mallory knows it can never work. She has secrets Law can never understand or forgive.

All Mallory wants now is to finish her job–track down an incubus and the precious box he stole–and get the hell out of town before Law shatters her heart again. But it wasn’t fate that drew her and Law together after all these years, it was cunning calculation. Now they must face an enemy more powerful than they can imagine, one that has no intention of leaving anybody alive.


My Review:
Wow, I loved this book so, so much. I'm so happy that I accepted it for review because now I have a new series to obsess over (hint: I want book #2 yesterday!!)

This is the first book in a brand new series that features an incredibly creative paranormal world. Both the main characters are sorcerers. At one point in time they were partners in every way, but six years ago, Mallory left without a word. See, their specialty was exterminating ghosts. They basically killed them...again, if that's possible. Mallory developed a conscience. She couldn't keep doing that when she had no idea if sending them off was doing them harm...wiping them from existence. But she'd also fallen in love with Law and couldn't deal with him rejecting her when she told him that she'd had a change of heart. So she just left.

It's been six years and she's learned a lot by being out on her own. She's strong, smart, and independent...and still desperately loves Law although she hasn't seen him since she left. So she's shocked when her latest job brings her to him and it turns out he wasn't as emotionally removed as she thought. He was devastated by her leaving. 

And this is where the author really excelled in writing this book. The book is written entirely from Mallory's point of view, but the reader can see just how much torment Law has gone through since Mallory left...even when she doesn't believe that he loves her. The emotion was incredibly and beautifully done. And I adore books that feature a lot of emotion, so that was huge for me. The two of them together were wonderful. There is so much want and love there. Every time they were in a scene together, I held my breath. Serious chemistry there. And all he wants is her to be safe...not so good when Mallory is throwing herself into danger about every other scene.

But the whole story is really incredible. Mallory and Law are two of very few sorcerers who can banish ghosts. They're very powerful. When Mallory stopped doing that, somehow she ended up taking ghosts under her wing instead. She has 17 that currently reside with her, and she's incredibly empathetic with them and the demon who arrives in the story later. I loved that about her. It made her such an amazing character/heroine. She cares...deeply, even for those who others would probably revile and hate. She can see things (their pain and needs) from their point of view. I seriously loved this about her. She's so incredibly strong.

Like I said when I started this review...I adored this book. And I HIGHLY recommend it. I'm not a huge paranormal reader. I enjoy them, but it's not a genre I actively seek out. This is a series that I will be haunting the authors blog looking for word of when the next book is coming out. When it comes to paranormal, that's not normal for me, but I've fallen in love with these two characters. I need more from them!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: