Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Phoenix Reborn by J.D. Tyler


Title: Phoenix Reborn
Author: J.D. Tyler
My Rating: B

Genre: Paranormal Suspense (m/m)
Series: Alpha Pack #7.5
Main Characters: Nix and Noah
Release Date: March 2016
Publisher: Intermix
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Wolf shifter and Firewalker Phoenix “Nix” Monroe has finally met his ultimate Bondmate—Alpha Pack nurse Noah Brooks. Unable to accept his own sexual identity, Nix rejects Noah despite the intense attraction he feels towards him.

By the time Nix realizes he has cast aside the love of his life, it may be too late to save Noah from a terrifying enemy...
My Review:
I love that J.D. Tyler wrote a male/male romance in the Alpha Pack world. I just wish she had given Nix and Noah's story a bit more. This is a novella and as such, it goes by really quickly although there is a lot going on. As a result, I was left feeling like the story was just missing something. It didn't go to the depths that I really would have liked it to emotionally. 

But what is there is good. Nix is torn. After growing up in a homophobic home, he's always denied that part of him. Noah is the complete opposite. He's very gay and a little flamboyant. Although Nix likes Noah...he hates that part of him because of his own hang-ups. 

The thing is Nix is a wolf shifter. He can't deny the mating bond and every time he does, it hurts Noah. That was one of the things that bugged me about this book. Noah is such a good, understanding guy, but Nix hurts him over and over again because of his own homophobic hang-ups. That hurt to read. This could have been an AMAZING full length novel if the author had been allowed to explore all those stirred up emotions more thoroughly...and I understand that this is an m/m novel in a mainstream m/f series, so she probably simply wasn't allowed the words to do so. That's just the way the publishing world works, but with little steps like this forward, that's changing and I love that.

But again, I'm thrilled that this book was even included in the series. I've loved this entire series and for it to have an m/m story makes my m/m loving heart love it even more.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

4 comments:

Vanessa Romano said...

I need to catch up on this series. I've read several & really enjoyed them.

Christi Snow said...

Vanessa, I'll admit I'm behind, too. I own the last couple in print, but haven't read them yet. Luckily, they all work as stand-alones pretty well. smiles...

Felicia S said...

I am caught up (except this one) --- I just don't know that I can. I am sure she makes it fine that a guy who previously felt he was straight is not only fine but in love with another male as his mate. I just up to this point felt that Noah deserved so much better.

Christi Snow said...

Felicia, I think you should give it a try. Actually, Nix agrees with you...Noah deserves better....and Nix's back story is a little more involved than that. smiles...